MAST by ANT

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sorenfdk, Jan 2, 2006.

1. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Hi!

I downloaded the two MASTstruct programs from www.sailboat-technology.com, and now I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with them - are they any good?
    They say they're based on the ABS Rules - what rules might that be?

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I haven't tried those MAST programs, so I cannot be of help on that. ABS means American Bureau of Shipping, if I understood your question.

3. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

As far as I know there are no ABS scantlings for masts.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Not only that, but ABS has no ruling for yachts under 20 mtrs and specifically not for any sailing yacht under that length.

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Exactly what I thought - ABS has never published any rules regarding masts, so what do the people behind these programs mean?
    I've played with them (the programs, not the people ;) ) a little, and they seem to produce reasonable results...

BTW: You can still get the Guide for Building and Classing Offshore Racing Yachts from ABS.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

They say they are BASED on the ABS rules! :cool: Come on! The ice in your martini is "based on the Titanic rules" OK it's ice, it sinks and it faintly refers (see where I'm coming from? probably not!):cool:

It's a sales ploy to make the poor unsuspecting novice with little knowledge believe in whats being 'sold' is better than it is :p - it would appear to work!:rolleyes:

7. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Except for the fact that it is freeware...

8. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I downloaded it - there's nothing to be gained from ANT by me doing so. I'd agree with Soren....

Why not email them and ask about the ABS bit - their contact details are here http://www.cfd-fea.com/

Incidentally, great link to the sailboat technology page Soren - have you checked out any of the the other downloads there?

9. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Only Profili 2, which BTW isn't free, but cheap and great!

Here's another great link: www.bodrum-bodrum.com/vorteks/arsenal. The name of the page is Virtual Marine Arsenal and it's another great collection of links.

These two and of course boatdesign.net are my absolute favourite yacht design homepages.

10. Willallison

looks like another great site - thanks!:)

11. osiris

osiris New Member

Sorry to correct but there is a section about mast design. Problem for most of us is it is for extremly large vessels

Take care,

12. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Still think I am right - maybe not this one but sometime in the future, also of course what are they getting for the transmission of this 'freeware'? Sorry gents but there ain't such a thing as 'free freeware!' or a free lunch even!

13. Willallison

Do I detect a note of cynicism there safe?;) Actually, I'm often amazed at just how much IS available in terms of software etc for free. Ok - so maybe many of the people offering this stuff do so in the hope that you'll come back some day and pay for something else they have - but what's wrong with that?

14. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

Open source software

Hey Walrus, there really are good guys in the world you know. Lots of people like to program, and really hate the way companies like Micro$haft rip you off with rapacious prices and constant "bugs" to try and pursuade you to "upgrade." The members of the open-source community are a good example and do a hell of a job because they feel that they are doing something for society as a whole . . . and they most certainly are!

You should check out one of the many flavors of Linux, for example. Or the browser I am using as I write this, Firefox. Or my email client, Thunderbird. Firefox is probably the best browser in the world, and Thunderbird is damn nice as well. All are free to anyone who wants them, and not only that the source code is also available so that if you find a bug, well maybe you can fix it too and everyone benefits. There are, in fact, thousands of open source programs that you can download and use. Some are excellent, some are horrible . . . just like commercial software. Have you looked at FreeShip recently?

In my opinion, the open source community is one of the best things to happen to humanity in general in modern times . . . because at its foundation it is simply a bunch of people trying hard to do their bit and make a better world. Something we see too little of.

So relax and enjoy it! The guys and gals making these wonderful programs get a "kick" our of the fact you can use their work in much the same way you would feel damn good if you had just rescued someone at sea.

Bill

15. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Billy I am using Firefox combined with Google, Open Office instead of Word/Office, Pegasus instead of Outlook, my colleague buys software (clean ones, no illegal copies) in Russia and that is much cheaper.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.