Need help with load calculation

Discussion in 'Stability' started by racepaul, Feb 14, 2021.

1. racepaul

racepaul New Member

Hi all
    I am trying to figure out my load capacity for an old pontoon boat I am refurbishing, The boat is a 1970 Kayot 22 foot. The pontoons are steel and measure 19" diameter with 20' of round tube and 3' of cone. I can do the calculations for the buoyancy but what I don't know is the weight of the tubes.
    Thanks for the help.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.
    If the pontoon is afloat, take the drafts fore, aft, and in the middle, which will allow you to know the total weight at this time. Perhaps starting from that figure it will be more comfortable for you to deduct the weights to be eliminated and add the weights to add.

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Hi Paul - are you sure that your pontoon boat is built with steel, rather than aluminium?

If she is indeed steel, and she was built in 1970, I would be a bit worried about the shell thickness of the pontoons.
    Is there any rust visible anywhere?

If she is aluminium, is she similar to this one?
    2002 Harris Kayot CLASSIC 220 in Rapid City, MI https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L51194030

Re calculating the weight of the tubes, you can get a rough estimate by 'unrolling' the tube to create a flat surface.
    For a 19" diameter tube, the circumference will be 3.142 x 19 = 60" / 5'.
    The surface area of the plate in the 20' section of tube will be (5 x 20) = 100 square feet.
    Multiply this by the thickness of the steel plate to get the volume of the material.
    And then multiply by the density of the material to get the weight of the 20' length of tube.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. racepaul

racepaul New Member

@ TANSL The boat is out of the water and came to me with a deck only, which I have removed.
    @ bajansailor The tubes are definitely steel and in really good shape. No rust on outside and the inside looked good as far as my scope would go.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I am intrigued by how your 50 year old steel pontoons are in such good condition, even on the inside - do you know what sort of paint coating has been applied to them? And is there any paint on the shell inside the pontoons?

6. racepaul

racepaul New Member

The inside may have had oil in them at one time as I am still getting a little residue out. The outside looks to have at least three distinguishable coats of paint and the bottom of the tubes are coated in coal tar.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Are there float marks on the pontoons?
    You may have no choice but to use a crane to weigh it.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

9. myrivertale

myrivertale New Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.