mast bend

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Aug 13, 2011.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

the DN iceboat mast bend is something else....

Why hasn't that approach made it's way to smaller multis? The explanation for the mast bend is so the top of the sail won't fall off and depower... and a second benefit may be creating lift in directions that would benefit overall power and speed, like the new fangled curved foils do... is it just easier to make a taller mast and reef?

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===
    I think I read some good insight on that from Steve Clark but I don't remember much about it or where-you could PM him..... I've been considering that type of bend though no where near as much as a DN(leeward in the center) to improve the rig I'm developing with a tall very narrow jib: no matter how tight you get the forestay the jib still sags off in the middle opening the slot and screwing up what I'm trying to achieve. It might be possible to match the mast bend to the jib sag creating the perfect slot.

Attached Files:

3. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

what about a solid headstay...like on a furler...

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=================
    I don't know-I would think it would still sag.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.