Which cloth works best for interior layups over corecell

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by BrettinVA, Nov 29, 2016.

1. BrettinVA

BrettinVA Junior Member

Hello. I'm restoring a fiberglass Privateer center console and would like to use some corecell for my interior panels like the sides of the bench seat. I'm using marine plywood for the transom, deck and tops of the seats but want to save a little weight if I can. I'm using polyester resin and have been for 25 years but I'm new to the foam core materials.

My question is - what style/weight cloth would you recommend for these parts assuming that I'm going to be glassing each side of the core?

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

These foams really need a resin-rich layer, a lightweight mat is ideal, against the foam, to get a good adhesion, then you can proceed with something with decent glass content, cloth is a bit too light, and more expensive, some kind of unidirectional or biaxial rovings, or just plain woven rovings.

3. BrettinVA

BrettinVA Junior Member

I was wondering about that but was hoping otherwise. I'm using 1708 biaxial w/ mat on most everything else on this boat so why not that too. I may lay up a test piece with 1708 on one side and 6 and/or 10 oz cloth on the other but will wet it out good first. Thank you.

4. captainmurph

captainmurph Junior Member

I'm using a 36 oz triaxial for a hard dodger I'm building and it is easy to work with an incredibly strong. It is great for layup and the stitched 3-layer (E Glass at Zero and 90 plus CSM stitched together) but isn't recommended for small parts detail.

I have a large quantity of this and will be selling it so get in touch if you are interested in any quantity.

Murph