2nd vs 1st edition of Boatbuilding with Aluminum by Stephen F. Pollard

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by cadmus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cadmus

cadmus da boom hit'um 1ce 2often

I reguards to Boatbuilding with Aluminum by Stephen F. Pollard.
    Is there a big difference between the old 1993 hard cover version (1st edition with gray color cover) and the 2006 soft cover(2nd ed red cover with photo)? If there is additional text or graphics in the new version i will buy it. But if it is just a reprint with a new cover I am finding better deals on the old edition.

2. cadmus

cadmus da boom hit'um 1ce 2often

Answer from the Publisher

I received and answer from Mr. Eaton, an editor from Mcgraw-Hill. It read as follows:

"The second edition includes updates and revisions, and it remains a hardcover book. The author made revisions throughout, but the most significant changes have to do with sending CAD files from the designer to a fabricator that cuts out the plates for shipment anywhere in the world. This gives amateur builders the option of bypassing lofting and cutting. I.e., you can spend a bit more to have the precut plates shipped to your home for assembly, thus saving large amounts of time and effort. There are resulting modifications of the ideal assembly method, which the author also covers. The second edition also retains the first edition’s coverage of traditional lofting and cutting methods.

FYI, when we move a book from hardcover to paperback we do not call it a new edition.
    "

... and if any of you by chance know a lot about how to design a self-jigging flat pack boats as he talks about please teach me on this thread:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/self-jigging-flatpack-kit-metal-hulls-26700.html
    I should have put it here in the metal boat building section but instead i put it in the sailing section. oops.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.