MAS epoxy

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Baldur, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

JOEL:
    Dang Nice Interior!
    More pics pls!

2. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Glue

Another brand is System 3. They have a new line out called "silver tip" with all sorts of special formulas for clear, coating bonding, even a premixed fairing compound. A good source for this as well as the other epoxies mentioned is hamiltonmarine.com

3. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

4. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

;) WOW! That's a dream boat!
    The lighting adds a beautiful touch.
    Is this one of your designs?

5. boatbuilder.org

It's a Devlin design. The pics are of the Sockeye 42 and Sockeye 45. We built the 42 about 5 years ago and the 45 about 3 years ago. All stitch and glue, plywood epoxy construction.
    ---Joel---

6. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

Honestly, these photos have really changed my idea of stitch and glue construction. The interior lines are so clean.
    I am reading Delvins' book right now, but never realized that a stitch and glue boat could be such a piece of art.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Just curious...Why should stitch and glue be different from any other type of building? It is simply the method of fastening the hull and sometimes some of the framing components together. All of the other stuff is 'cut and fit' and done the same way any other method of building is done.

Steve
    Every boat I have built has either been stitch and glue or "Instant" type. Currently working on #12

8. boatbuilder.org

I agree, stitch and glue is no more than the method to build the hull. As a whole I would consider what we do WEST construction in that all the pieces of the boat are encapsulated in epoxy.

---Joel---

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

UMMMM I would have to vary with that. Most of my hull and framing pieces have SOME epoxy on them but most do not have full encapsulation. I usually glass the outside bottom, epoxy the inside bottom and anywhere water might find a prolonged resting place but not all of the boat is totally sealed with epoxy...WAY too much dinero for me. Usually the other sealant is paint or varnish.

Steve

10. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

:p Oh, I suppose that I am a traditionalist.
    I learned about boat building from the old timers while growing up on Bainbridge Island.
    Plank on frame and traditional lap were the only "true" wood boat building methods. Plywood was never even considered for hull construction except for "toy" boats.
    :idea: But, after seeing a few beautiful boats constructed of ply, I am becoming convinced that it is a viable construction material.

:p :p
    What do I know, I have never built a boat over 18 feet yet. And my last completed project was over 16 years ago.

Technology gets better every day. ;)

Cheers....