MAS epoxy question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by alan white, Jun 12, 2007.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Just came across some MAS resin and hardener. It was left here by a friend years ago, probably six or seven years old. The resin hasn't any cover on the plastic can, but the retail tag sticker says resin. It has a pump, but the pump is shot. The hardener pump is shot as well.
    Hardener still has the label attached, and it says it's #2072. The label says nothing about ratio however, which i need now that the pumps are shot.
    I seem to recall MAS used a 3:1 ratio, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
    Both resin and hardener are a little milky, though I've not ever noticed any shelf life limitations in my own experience. Perhaps MAS does look milky anyway. Never used it before. If I can use this I've got most of a gallon.

Alan

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I think MAS epoxies are 2:1 resin to hardener. Almost all resin manufacturers advertise a 1 yr shelf life. Not to say that they won't work past that time but their performance may suffer but I don't know to what degree. I would suggest doing a test. Warming the resin and hardener might get rid of the milkyness.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Thanks. Maybe I'll drop the containers in pan of hot water. i've used West System that was pretty old, even red in color (hardener) with no problems.
    I'll then try 2:1.

Alan

4. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

I would almost guarantee the hardner will be bad.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

We'll see. At least I don't hear you saying the resin will be bad, and there's plenty more of that anyway. At 2:1, I'd need a half-gallon, which must be how they sell it. The hardener I have is in a gallon container, and has about half the amount of the resin. Later today, I'll know. It's slow hardener, so maybe tomorrow.

Thanks again, guys.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, that the hardener will likely not generate the properties in the cured plastic, fresh would. I wouldn't speculate how much of a difference (if it hardens at all), but I've used hardener a few years old and it worked (non-structural application) and hardener that was several years old and it didn't kick completely. If it was me, I'd not waste the resin hoping to getting lucky with the hardener.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I give it one shot. Small portion, carefully measured. The use is going to be for sealing more than structural anyhow. Thought i'd use it ip for that--- filling seams thickened some, and screw holes, building volume, etc. Nothing involving any stress. Stuff that gets covered with cloth and fresh epoxy from my dwindling West Syetsem supply.

Thanks.

8. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

alan

Just a heads up...MAS changed their formula and their pumps a number of years ago. You should check out the ratio with a phone call to them.

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Alan