Rake?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by learningtheway, Jun 23, 2011.

1. learningtheway

learningtheway Junior Member

Hello everyone I am beginning to build my first boat and am looking over the plans, Ive come to a term "rake"? Can anyone help me and tell me what this means? And maybe any insights into what it means and why it is necessary.

Thanks
    LTW

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Rake is an angle off he vertical or, in the case of propellers, from the perpendicular to the shaft.

3. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

In what context? Rake could also refer to mast angle on a sailboat. Steve

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Also the angle of the stem or transom. The term rake is precisely what Gonzo has said.. But it is a term that is context dependant.

In boating terms it has nothing to do with the tool used for collecting fallen leaves.

5. learningtheway

learningtheway Junior Member

"it has nothing to do with the tool used for collecting fallen leaves."

Haha that made me smile ...

Anyway the context would be on the transom for boat construction.

This is just an angle measure on how much to tilt the transom or is it an angle that you cut out of the transom still a little confused.

Thanks for the responses thus far though

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Rake on a transom means how far it leans aft or forward at the top. A traditional transom is "raked" aft, while more modern boats may have a forward raked transom, which is often called a reverse transom (because it's the opposite of traditional). Yes, rake is defined by an angle from a perpendicular, which can be vertical or horizontal. Masts also have rake, usually measured from a perpendicular to the LWL.

7. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Senior Member

What about rake at the stem? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having rake at the stem vs. a vertical stem? For example, I notice that the Luxemotor-type Dutch barges have a vertical stem, but Klipper-type Dutch barges have a raked stem.

I assume there are considerations that have lead to one or the other that go beyond questions of aesthetics. Does it have something to do with operating in rough vs. smooth water?

8. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

What about the Bow entry.
    No rake at all, vertical and sharp, or fair with plenty of rake.

9. vignesh

vignesh Junior Member

if a ship propeller blade doesnt lie perpendicular to shaft axis ,then the it is said to be raked .it helps in giving clearance between the hull and propeller ,hence it helps in the case of vibaration .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.