new to site, anyone know this catamaran

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hinemoa, Jun 4, 2010.

1. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

hi people , searched the web, couldnt find any info or photos of our new boat, we purchased this recently in the hope to make it a private weekend getaway, it is 16.5meters in length and 5.3 high in total, cabin area is 4.5 x 8.5, am going to move it to tokaanu next month and really am just after any history or photos anyone knows of or anything really have attached photo DSC04446.JPG
    boat was in operation in rotorua in nz 2 years ago so i was told....hehe

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That is crazy. Is the water line really where it appears to be? About half way up the pontoon?

What is with the attachment points at the top of the legs, is the cabin removable?

What powers it and how?

More pictures please...

-Tom

3. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

it was originally powered by two cummins 120hp, keel cooled, the water line is where it apears to be, it was 11 ton loaded up with all the goodies as a tourist ferry of some sort, but now it only weighs 8 ish ton i was going to put some td27 nissan engines in it as a cruise machine on our lake, the top comes of via large pins so it is easily transportable....well sort of easy lol... DSC04460.JPG

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Geez, sorry pal but you bought a lemon, that's probably why its on the hard with no history and apparently no motors (the motors were the only value left) :confused:

5. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

hey geez thanks for the vote of confidence, i thought i was joining a forum about boat and helping eachother out, but i may have to think again with this site????

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Naw, the boat isn't necessarily a lemon at all. Manie was just jealous.
    The boat's history might emerge when you begin to talk to the last yard that serviced it. It's a bit surprising such basic information didn't transfer from the last owner.
    As a lake boat, what is expected of the boat after all? By the way, a lot of data that existed on paper before the internet never got put up due to lack of newsworthiness. If the boat is old enough, why would you find anything on the internet? If nobody sold it before 1990, who would upload any info?

7. yipster

yipster designer

8. Zilver

Zilver Junior Member

Hello ,

Nice boat!

For your interest :

Tony Bigras has built a boat that looks very similar to this one, also with removable cabin.

http://www.ideaintegrator.com/boats/wp/wp.htm

On his site he describes the designing , building and testing of this boat.

Good luck with the rebuilding and I wish you a lot of nice cruising with this boat.

Hans

9. hinemoa

hinemoa hinemoa

wow guys this is great, really helps me with ideas for this project, i guess i was a little shocked about that earlier post but i guess i have to be open minded and take everyones opinion in on this as a neutral quote...lol
    i thought i was the only one out there with weird likings such as my boat....
    but i guess theres more of us out there than expected

my next thing is going to be gbox choices but that will be later as i have to do other bits first but will still hope for some info out there for this particular design, i did go back to early workshops and they told me it was used about 4 or 5 years ago in aucklands americas cup as a spectator boat so it will slowly piece together in time??

thanks people , im always looking forward to seeing what turns up

10. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Hi There
    There is detailed information on the boat somewhere on the www I think from the designers site or a Trade Me advert of it. I did read alot of information on it at the time but for the life of me I can not find it just now.
    It obviously worked as if it was used for hire and reward it would have passed survey or at the very least Safe Ship criterior.
    All the best.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.