Hi there!

Discussion in 'Education' started by Rockdamned, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Rockdamned

Rockdamned Junior Member

Hello! I'm a new member, I'm a student of the first year of Aerospace engineering in Rome university.

What I wanted to ask you is, due to follow my dream, become a racing sail boat designer (able to work on the entire project at its best - I mean, not just an architect, but an engineer...), which university could be the best?

In my idea I thought to study Aerospace engineering in Rome, 3 years, because it is the one that has, here in Italy, the most courses similar to what should be needed by a boat designer (most of italians do that...), but then I'd like to go to Southampton...(but I don't know exactly which course do)

What do you think? Is it a good idea or not? What do you suggest? (I want to be the best...:D)
    I'm sorry for my english :)

Edoardo

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Study all your life, take inspiration from Nature, find beauty wherever you can, and don't forget to fall in love.
    (The actual university is not important.)

Good luck!
    Leo.

3. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Polytecnico di Milano, prof Fabio Fossati has written an excellent new book of aero-hydrodynamics. If his lessons are half that good...

The best doesn't sorry his English :)

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I went to both Southampton Uni and Solent (Yacht and Powercraft Design). Both are good courses, but the Uni was (5 years ago) geared toward large ships. However, there is some good small craft work going on. Solent was much more small-craft oriented, but a bit less theoretical. Whether that is good or bad is a matter for debate. What really sets you apart is be your work in your first job after university.

The important thing to remember about yacht design is that it is an incredibly small and tough employment market to get into, and it doesn't pay megabucks once you're in it. Hence a lot of people (like me) have gone off to earn more money doing something else!

To be good enough to get the top jobs, you need to be an engineer with an eye for style, which is an almost non-existant combination. However, it will be good fun when you get there.

Cheers,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.