Marinize a Subaru?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by curtis73, Sep 1, 2006.

1. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

I've been thinking about this for years; small, light, low profile, optional small turbo, and now I have the perfect boat for one.

I searched the forums and found a few threads talking about subys but not specifically about marinization parts. I've also been looking for that magical marinization book that is no longer in print with no luck.

Just wondered if anyone had done it, thought about it, if its common, if its impossible :) Thanks.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Curtis, You didnt do a search did you? there is loads of info and threads on 'Auto engine marinisation' The thing is because of your location you will be able to easily find a marine motor to go at a very cheap second hand price.

As well ar marinising your motor you need a transmission.You will need to fabricate mounts, a heat exchanger, etc etc Now if you were where I am then that would be different.

Whats with the 'turbo',--- marine engines dont have to have one, a very expensive part that you dont need.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

This would probably end up costing you as much as buying a amrine engine.

4. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

Yup, I searched several forums and found some nice info, but nothing about subaru-specific parts. Don't need a transmission since this will be a sterndrive. The reason I asked is because I've never seen a subaru motor marinized since no one uses them in the U.S. I thought maybe in another country represented by the members might have used suby motors and that would mean marinization parts like heat exchangers would already exist.

The turbo has always been a nice little thing for marine motors. Air-water intercooler efficiencies can be sky-high with all the access to free 70-degree water. Since I'm looking for 200 hp from a 2.7L engine, an intercooled turbo would be a nice way of doing that without having to spin the engine to 6500 rpm.

I have very specific space and height reasons for wanting a subaru engine in a boat which is why I asked. I have 12 small block chevys and 5 small block fords that I could use to replace the 305 that's in there, but that's not what I want.

So, (to be more specific) does any marine company in any country use Subaru engines in marine applications? If so, is there a source for marinization parts like heat exchangers?

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Jeees I didnt know you were looking at that power range. Have a look at the Toyota HD1 engine form the Land criuser its a real mean motor, its also the base engine for the Yanmar 6LP ,they also slot right into a mercriuser,--- with the correct bell housing of course.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I don't know of anyone who marinizes Subaru engines. Most Marine engines in the USA are built on GM blocks. There are a few Chrysler and Ford blocks out there. But never heard of a marine SUbaru

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

There has been several articles on converting Subaru for marine use in some popular magazines,and have proved very good.I think the one I read was in "Wooded Boats". quite some time ago.May be info on Wooden Boats web site?

8. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

Ok, good stuff. I'm finding some spotty Subaru info and it looks like a viable option. Its replacing a 260-horse Chevy 350. (I originally thought it was a 305 but I found out differently) Maybe I should approach the question from a different angle...

If a guy wanted a marine engine in the 200-300 hp range that would provide a lower profile than a honkin' V8, how might a guy find such a thing? I won't go too far into why since its a long story including a handicapped mother, but the basic idea here is to get the good points of an I/O, but be able to reclaim some floor space by having a walkable platform above the engine. The current setup (by the way, this is a 19' Baja bowrider) has a platform above the 350 as a padded sun deck. If I could lower that platform as much as possible it would make me a happy man.

I thought about an LT1 since it has many things in common with the carbed 5.7, but it would only gain about 4". I thought about an aluminum LS1 since I'm fresh water only, but again it would only gain me about 5". Any suggestions on powerplants that might give me 250 or so hp and drop that deck some?

9. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sube engines are sometimes seen in light hovercraft, too. I think that's more closely related to an aircraft conversion than a boat conversion, but it's worth looking at.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hang on a minute --are we talking diesel or petrol here.

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

13. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

petrol. This is for a 19' bowrider I/O Baja

14. curtis73

curtis73 Junior Member

I've tried that link from some other marinizing threads and it says that the domain name is for sale. I did find the page where you can buy back issues and I think I'll do that, but is it published on the web anywhere?

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Maranize a Subaru article is in Wooden Boats No 134 Janurary February 1997
    I have not seen that article on internet,but some others I have lost track of at present.

1 person likes this.