marinizing a snowmobile engine and drive setup?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by rvBilly, Aug 16, 2005.

1. rvBilly

rvBilly Junior Member

Hello, I am building a 11 foot speed runabout for insane purposes and don`t know anything about marinizing a engine, I want to put a 500cc snowmobile engine in it and run this to a lower end of a outboard leg made up with homemade brackets, I am on a really tight budjet so this setup could be made to work, the boat will only weigh about 120 pounds empty, carry 2 people and be just a toy, I figure with the right prop I should be able to hit 40 mph easy,( thats my goal) I haven`t been able to find many web sites with imformation on this type of a project, What would I have to do to make the engine marinized? if it was not marinized what safety problems are involved, can I run a stainless steel exhaust into the water without damage to the engine and should I look for a lower end outboard of say around 40 Hp.Any help I may recieve will be greatly appreciated,
    Thankyou Bill Pickering BC Canada.

2. yipster

yipster designer

this seems the easyest way to me :D

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

your asking for trouble. a snowmobile engine was designed to run at below frezzing temps. you will have to redesign the carb setup and exhaust. in my opinion it would never be reliable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.