Steering Cable for a '66 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by HisServant, Jan 1, 2015.

1. HisServant

HisServant Junior Member

I need to replace the steering cable on my '66 Seafair Sedan. This is an I/O with a Volvo stern drive. I am told the inboard is a Chevy, but don't know for sure. The cable is 14' which is no problem. But, the cable has a ball where it exits the transom. I have been able to find a replacement cable that has this ball on it. Can anyone help me with this?

Attached Files:

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Any teleflex cable dealer will be able to supply one they are used with outboards sometimes to allow the cable to tilt with the outboard. You should be able to clean that one up and use it again anyway.

3. HisServant

HisServant Junior Member

You mean it can actually be removed from the cable? Boy, am I red-faced. I thought it was all one unit. Can you tell I am new to this? The boat was given to me and is sound. I have refinished the wood, need to run some new wiring. I need to repaint the interior and the blue gel coat that has faded. But, otherwise this old harbor boat is sound. I hope to have it in the water by March. Thanks very much for your help.

4. whitepointer23

Looking at your photo i might be wrong. I think the ball on your cable replaces the nut so you can't remove it off the cable. Buy a new modern ball kit. They are much better and fully adjustable.

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Suggest you s-can the entire system and upgrade to something from this century. That looks like an OMC style "thru transom" ball mount cable which has been out of production for decades.

The helm and attending hardware are probably ready for replacement anyway, and the new systems are pretty inexpensive.

We are talking about possibly 40+ year old steering here, a kind of important system.

:cool:

6. HisServant

HisServant Junior Member

Keysdisease,
    Thank you. It sounds like great advice and my only solution. It appears that West Marine may have what I need. I will go to one of their stores on Saturday. I'll let you know how I make out. Happy New Year.
    Kim

7. whitepointer23

Swap to hydraulic is the best if you can afford it.

8. HisServant

HisServant Junior Member

Thanks, Brendan. I'll look into it and consider it.

Kim

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That is the old OMC through transom setup, likely after Volvo bought OMC. Parts are still available but getting harder to find. I agree, just toss that in the drink and use a new Teleflex. Yeah, they charge way too much, but you'll get another 1/2 a century out of it.

10. HisServant

HisServant Junior Member

Par,
    You are absolutely correct. I actually found the the manual for the motor on this thing. As I surmised, everything on the boat is original. The stern drive is an OMC and the cable is the original OMC. The inboard is the Chevy II I4. There is a little, very little, play in the helm, but I am tossing the whole thing and starting new. I ordered the Teleflex cable and helm kit and the splashwell mounting kit. It came in under $300, so I am not complaining about that. Thanks much for everybody's help. I have been to a lot of forums, but I received the greatest help here. This is my new go to site for all things boats.
    Happy New Year to all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.