Marinizing a 4BT

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by wollybugger, Apr 15, 2013.

1. wollybugger

wollybugger Junior Member

I am looking at marinizing a 4BT truck engine.

I can get the engine for $3k and the watercooled manifold and elbow for $2k from Mesa marine. Mesa said I may need a turbo cooler as well

Does anyone know where the turbo coolers can be purchased and how they are plumbed?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The turbo and required intercooler are the most problems on engines.

Do you really need the power level with the turbo?

Could you fit a larger non turbo engine and save the expenses later?

3. wollybugger

wollybugger Junior Member

Thanks for the reply ...

I need 130-150HP to be under 1000 lbs ... and I want to stay away from gasoline.

The problem it is a shallow draft boat with low freeboard, so it is weight sensative.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"and I want to stay away from gasoline."

Because? You will be running 1500 to 200 hours a year and worry about the fuel bill?

For reasonable HP low cost , low maint and light weight gas is really hard to beat.

www.crusaderengines.com/

These are considered the best and while I understand the desire for a diesel the cost of PM and required maint will outweigh the fuel cost on a lightly used engine.

Before purchasing a diesel, purchase the repair manual, it has all the real stuff the owners/operators book alludes to but never covers.

Like what the procedure is for "out of service for over 30 days" ,and other requirements engine sellers dont wish to discuss , BUT are REQUIRED if long service life is expected.

The lowest cost diesel conversions will be dry stack and keel cooled, as no e$pensive "marine" parts are required.

Since truck take outs have SAE bellhousings mounting a really good marine tranny like a Twin Disc is just a parts hunt.

Look in Boats & Harbors

Good hunting!

5. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

I agree with FF.
    You have to run a lot of hours to make diesel pencil out. Modern gas systems are safe and generally much quieter.
    That said I would choose diesel if it could be justified..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.