Kubota Z482 (13hp) marinization

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by danielb, Mar 12, 2007.

1. danielb

danielb New Member

Hi,
    Here's my situation:
    25.5 foot, 2 ton, racer/cruiser fibreglass yacht needing repower. (In New Zealand - that's the one below Australia for the geographically challenged)
    Problem:
    Low budget!

I currently have an MD5B volvo with MD110S sail-drive, which is quite ancient and am thinking it will need replacement sooner rather than later. Having done my research I found that Beta and Nanni both supply an ideal light engine with perfect output (couple extra hp over current) based on the Kubota. Whats more, both offer a adaptor to mate up to the existing sail-drive which I very much want to retain. Also the standard gearing can be used, as the newer engines put out their higher power at higher RPM (Power/RPM curve same as Volvo, just longer).
    The catch is the cost.

The above options are close on 10k NZ dollars (about 5k USD).
    I have recently spotted the standard Kubota Z482 for under $5K NZ (about 2.5k USD). So my natural question is, should I attempt marinization myself.
    I am fairly capable with motors, having done a few partial rebuilds etc, so don't mind tackling the labour myself.
    The questions are:
    Will I save reasonable money?
    What is needed outside the obvious, like water-water heat exchanger (current engine is raw water cooled), custom exhaust manifold pipe with water injection point (basic, compared to bigger engine systems), and a custom adaptor to the sail-drive/gear-box?
    At the end of the day, what differs from the off the shelf Z482, to the Beta marinized version?

Look forward to some knowledgable replies!

2. jff

jff New Member

Diecon engineering in Brisbane does a kit for A$2350 +617 3390 8190
    info@diecon.com.au

I have no experience or affiliation with them, just found them while doing some research on building a dc genset

cheers

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.