Boat Design Disaster

Discussion in 'Materials' started by StormDog, Dec 15, 2005.

1. StormDog

StormDog New Member

HELP !!
    I need some experienced advice on this one. I am currently restoring a 1982 Correct Craft 24' Fish Nautique. I purchased the boat with motor out from the widow of the previous owner. I was aware that there were some structure issues when I purchased the boat but not to the extent that I have recently discovered. At purchase the Fiberglass over plywood bilge area appeared slightly damaged from the years. I have discovered that I will probably be removing the Center Console deck in the near future to do a complete restore of the plywood mahogany sub structure. The huge main stringers are sound as well as the stringers that run parralell about mid way up. The problem was with the "chambered plywood supports that rest behind the glass bulkhead. Apparently this boat went down to some extent in the past and the Chambers filled behind the glassed walls and upon being righted the water in the Chambers having no weep holes had no where to go but into the plywood. Thus, almost complete rot.
    Any suggestions on what type of material to use for the replacement of the floor sub structure ?????

2. jhodson

jhodson New Member

marine grade plywood for bulkheads and spanish cedar for anything u can use it for. spanish cedar will outlast any other wood, teak, mahogany etc. it is allmost indestructable. i had a 1958 cc 42 ft, lots of sub damaged wood. spanish cedar was my savior. hope this helps

3. StormDog

StormDog New Member

Isn't there any kind of composites that I could use that I wouldn't have to be worried about rot in the future? Since I live right on the coast of North Carolina, My plans for this boat are to use it for off shore fishing (A LOT). I have been working on this restoration for six months doing different things as I go and I am not in a huge hurry to complete the project since I am being very meticulous as I go.
    Thanks For Any Info
    John Wilson
    Morehead City NC

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

You can use marine plywood encapsulated with epoxy - it'll outlast the rest of the boat.

Never heard of using Spanish cedar for boat work (don't doubt it though). But it sure smells nice in my cigar humidor!

5. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

Floor sub structure sounds like some sort of beam. If you never ever want rot use some material that doesn't rot! Simple isn't it? Instead of glassing over wood you could glass over foam. Use closed cell foam. So even if there is some damage to the fibreglass the water can't go anyway because all the hollow cells in the foam are closed off. If you use structural PVC or Corecell foam you don't need much glass because the foam is quite stiff. If you use PU or Styrofoam the foam is just there to give the shape and the glass laminate has to be stiff enough to withstand buckling. If you use Styrofoam you have to use epoxy resin because polyester melts the stuff.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those boats have a thin foam core on the sides. If the stringers failed and the hull flexed, the cockpit sole creates a hard spot. They delaminate about amidships, right where the engine is. Check that before doing any other repairs.

7. StormDog

StormDog New Member

Hull Integrity

The hull on this boat is in excellent shape. I have not found any delamination any where on the boat. The interior is also in great shape. From talking with the previous owners son. His father did not fish the boat a lot although it stayed in the water from time to time at periods - also the batteries went dead on the bilge pumps and it almost sank. Thus the previous owner felt the need to haul out for a rebuild that he never completed. The boat sat blocked up in their front yard for 8 years. After reading several of your post I have about decided that I will research the corecell material... Thanks for all your help.

Attached Files:

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

From what I gather, stormdog, the sole (floor, to landlubbers) and floors (landlubbers would think of them as frames or joists) are rotted out, but the hull and stringers are sound? Definitely do a thorough inspection of the hull before you start rebuilding, make sure there's no delamination.
    If it's only floors and sole that are gone, you pretty much have a blank slate to rebuild as you like. Core foams are good but expensive. Glass-coated plywood lasts forever if it's done carefully. I might suggest going to a good boat dealer and poking around the bilges of some similar-size craft to see how it's done- how fibreglass is 'tabbed' at the joints to spread stresses, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.