Marine Windows - good products

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Maritimer, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Maritimer

Maritimer Junior Member

I am currently sourcing windows for replacement on an existing commercial vessel in Canada. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with either the Diamond Sea Glaze or Beclawat aluminum clamp in style windows. Price from these companies were miles apart but product looks the same trying to figure out why the price difference?

http://www.diamondseaglaze.com
    http://www.beclawat.com

Thanks

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

If it has to be really professional, go for the best:

http://www.fehrmann-hamburg.de/en/index.php

Regards
    Richard

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

I couldn't find the "watertight" doors but what I did see looks like quality.
    My imput on Seaglaze is out-of-date and my windows leak like collandars. The other looks nice. I see every boat in my port opening hatches and windows after a rough day to air out. I'm not sure that any sportboat moving window can be termed "watertight".

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Just click Teddy´s link Mark. There are the watertight doors.

And all the other stuff only Fehrmann can produce. Although not a "Sportboat", Onassis "Christina" was equipped in 1953 by Fehrmann, with vertical sliding windows.
    I know what quality is, you remember?
    :cool:

Regards
    Richard

6. BoatWindowFrame

BoatWindowFrame New Member

Fiberglass Replacement Window Frames

Sounds like you are looking for a window source, not frames. But just in case you are considering replacing your frames, I thought I'd mention that I have both: fiberglass replacement window frames with installed glass- no mechanical fasteners, no corrosion. Let me know if I can help.

Lookout Boat Window Frames

Thanks,
    Broadus Rose

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

8. Maritimer

Maritimer Junior Member

Update on windows

For the window project we started we decided to try a window from Diamond Sea Glaze and Beclawat to see what the difference in quality would be and how that matched price. After working with both companies we eventually got our design appraisal from Lloyds and our windows. Both windows looked OK the Beclawat appeared more rugged. We discussed increasing number of clamp bolts and size with DSG and they said they could increase for any new orders. After a year trial we went back for quotes on remaining 26 windows and the price from the low bid increased and the bid from the high bid lowered so prices from both are now close, a significant drop in price was achieved from high bid. Both companies knew we had conducted this trial, competition is always good. Final company selection still to be decided but both companies were good to deal with and products were acceptable. Note these windows were for a large commercial vessel not yatchs and windows were very large with double mullions so I would think anything for small vessels would be very straight forward for either company.

9. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

10. Maritimer

Maritimer Junior Member

Windows too small

Thanks for the info on Motion Windows but the windows I am replacing are very large heavy windows 3/4" thick glass. Motion Plus seems to have a max thickness of 1/2" at present.

11. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

OK, I now see Freeman carries them as their standard (light?) duty windows, suitable for pleasure and smaller commercial craft.

12. rsimon

rsimon Junior Member

13. rsimon

rsimon Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.