marine sports and transportation needs this power

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hpcbetter, Jul 21, 2007.

1. hpcbetter

hpcbetter inventor plus

I am looking for people who believe in supremacy and practicality
    of a sail working above the wind gradient, self-adjusting, etc., etc., etc.
    There are companies and individuals trying hard but they are far
    behind, I believe I am decades ahead. Who wants to be the nex Onasis,
    king of the seven seas?
    I am not looking for investment or support and am expecting only
    serious people to reply Will supply as much information as necessary to
    evaluate the project.Marine architects welcome.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Most of us will be skeptical that you have achieved a breakthrough in sail design. On the other hand your ideas will be considered with an open mind. We will be pleased to discuss your method in more detail when we know more about your discovery. Please post more descriptive information.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

hpc, is this about the same device you briefly mentioned last year on here ( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showpost.php?p=88731&postcount=114 ) before disappearing?
    Without any information about what your device is, how it works or what it looks like, it's impossible to make any reasonable evaluation of whether or not it's worth pursuing. If YOU are serious about this, you're going to have to provide more details of just what you're thinking about. As messabout says, we're happy to evaluate and discuss even the most radical ideas, but we need to know more.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

HPC,
    I recieved your E-mail in which you suggested that skeptics are "stupid". You did not tell me much about your device although it seemed that you are thinking of a kite sail or variation thereof. If that is the case, you are about a thousand years behind the curve.

It is presumptious, even juvenile, for you to think that you have discovered some sail like mechanism that has not been previously discovered and experimentally applied.

Sailing men have searched for better sails for eons. In the past there was good reason for fervent effort to improve. Warships used to be driven only by sail power. The best sailing ships stood a better chance of survival, in war, than lesser ones. So the degree of urgency for better propulsion was a life or death matter. Over time, millions of people have worked on this subject Many of them were creative, educated, and experienced. In short they were/are not stupid. Consider that there are great universities that concern themselves with such things. Several US universities come to mind: U.S. Naval \Academy, U.S. Coast Auard Academy, Cornell, Michigan, M.I.T., Cal Tech, to name a few. There are great universities in England, Australia, Norway, Germany, and many other countries who have marine sciences programs that are extremely brilliant. With all that intelligence surrounding us, you claim to have come up with a system that is better. I believe that the probability is that you are 99% delusional. The remaining one percent allowance for possibility is more than generous.

When you are a very experienced sailor, earn a graduate degree in physics, and become an acknowledged expert in the field of fluid mechanics, you will have sufficient credentials to use words like "stupid". Not until then!

Meanwhile I think it would be useful for you to do some home work. Start on a very basic level with Phil Bolgers book about 100 Sail Rigs. Read Yacht Racing by Manfred Curry, then read Sailing Theory and Practice by C.A. Marchaj. Read The Art And Science of Sails by Tom Whidden. Those are just for starters. There are a truck load of more intelligent and scientific books that are worth study. None of the authors can rightly be called stupid.

I leave you with one final bit of wisdom. I did not invent it. Someone with more insight than I first uttered: " we do not know what we do not know". Heres hoping that the nuances of that saying do not escape you.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

hpc,
    I too received the same email.
    I don't doubt that you think you've created something clever. From your rather roundabout description, though, it sounds like what you've developed is essentially a control harness for tying a paraglider to a boat much like kite sails are used. A lot of money and research has gone into such rigs, in very high-profile design offices. Hence why the "stupid executives" are so skeptical of your idea- they've already seen many, many similar devices soak up piles of money with, so far, little commercial viability resulting. I too am rather skeptical of the claim that a briefcase-sized control unit can manage an oversize paraglider that has a third of the boat's weight on the cord. The winch and control assembly for a normal tourist-trap paraglider, with one or two people on the kite (substantially lower loads than a kite sail expected to haul a yacht around), is the size of a decent outboard engine.
    Dreaming is wonderful. But when you start thinking about a trip to the patent office, it is imperative that thorough, detailed research be conducted. I can virtually guarantee that you will not get an investor until you have a working prototype with some credible test results. If you really think this is worthwhile and commercially viable, you'll have to commit a good chunk of your own resources to proving that, before anyone else will be willing to commit.

6. hpcbetter

hpcbetter inventor plus

Thanks for your lecture. It is never late to learn.
    It is acommon mistake to say "if it were possile, it would have been invented, there are many smart people working on the problem"
    This is a sure recipe for failure
    I do not call sceptics stupid, I call stupid people stupid.Big diffwerence I am skeptc myself, do not leave a stone unturned before giving my opinion. My past employers called me "the relentless", " the undefeable' for good reason.
    Illustration:
    CEO of an established company in the field of dirigibles sent a reply to my offer of technologies, engines and associated technology, whdich may save peope's lives in case of disaster.
    How much intelligence it requires to understand that the term "mid-air collission can cover any mishap in mid-air in which the envelope is damaged and the passengers would die? Is a reply "we have not heard of mid-air collison worthy of intelligent person or a stupid one? There is no need to mention scepticism. The second objection was, that the engines are too noisy. Pardon me, if you fall from the height of 5000 feet to your death, are you going to argue , do not turn the noisy engine on? Again, is there any room for discussion about scepticism or is it plain stupidity?
    These are kind of people I regularly encounter.
    I am not a sailor. My technology has wider application than in ailboats. Therefore any reference to experienced sources and theories do not give me any help. Since you do not know exact nature of the technology, it may be premature, even as it may be well-meant, to give me such advice.
    Then there are others who intend to acquire my technology without considering any compensation. For example, an execcutive was very interested, requiring more and more information, but when I asked for name and address of the company to send detailed Disclosure, they disappear into thin air. Am I being paranoid?
    Being quite old and having responsibility towards my young family and sitting on very valuable technologies, you may be able to excuse my impatience, even as I try very hard to be civil.
    Regards,

7. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Please post some stuff here. It is not clear what you've invented - is it a control mechanism or a whole rig?

8. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

if you look at the very basic physics, boil it down to the potential energy that can be extracted for the motion of the wind. Estimate the percentage of that energy that can be derived for propulsion. How does it compare to the efficiency of a marine diesel or steam turbine that will always be "blowing" in the direction you want to go?

I am skeptical, because I have sailed on commercial ships as a crewmember, and seen that the wind rarely is blowing the way you want at the speed you want. I am also a sailor and a naval architect. I did a detailed thesis on the possibility of wind power for commercial shipping as a student, with every intent and hope of showing it to be profitable. Unfortunately, my research showed the opposite. It is a sunken cost that rarely provides any benefit for the direction you want to go. If you have no details to offer, I will have to fall back on my own numbers, and say it is likely you are kidding yourself.

9. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

hpcbetter,

Sounds like a double paraglider to me. Is it one big wing plus a small wing? Yes it does seem possible in the sense that airplanes needs very little inputs to change direction or lift.

I am no longer in the Philippines and won't be there for a long time but we can touch base. Send me your private e mail should you wish to communicate outside of this forum.

Rx

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

So you are inventing dirigibles and sails right? Post some diagrams or photos instead of wild claims and we may show some respect. That is, unless you think we are too stupid to understand your design.

11. hpcbetter

hpcbetter inventor plus

marine sports and transportation needs...

Double sail? you are close. The sail is not my invention, just the controls which, if if they were available, could lead to marine revolution hundred years ago.
    I am not involved in dirigibles, only have technologies which would save passengers' lives in case the envelope is damaged.I have some other technologies which would be suitable for dirigibles, inependently.
    On surface, my technology looks like the many other kite propulsion systems, but they cannot compare to mine and I am confident that for some time I will be unassailable.
    I am quite old and have duty towards my young family which is not secured as much I wish, therefore must take care not to lose any of my intellectual property which is my only possession, results of life-long struggle.
    Therefore, I will offer only limited information directed mainly toward those who may be interested to join me in exploring the enormous potential of the technology.
    I have been lectured on these pages to first study the experts. Not very intelligent advice. I never study the state iof art, do not consider ridicule or profit, that's why I am successful Those who follow different path have not come in last 5,000 years with any notable improvement to the basically indecent propulsion systems. Do you want me to follow them? I do not have another 5,000 years time. My designs have very little in common with other sail systems, they are radial. I would not waste my time chewing on designs which are so obvuiously inadequate and spat out by others.
    Considering my situation I hope you will forgive me if I do not take seriously impertinent comments. I have more important things to do. I joined this forum looking for serious people who may be willing to join me, not for fruitless discussions , going over things which were tested and proven million times, thousand times by myself. Of course, I want to learn what others have to say, even if it does not help me in my specific endeavors.
    Regards.

12. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

How can we join you, when we don't know what you've got?
    How are you going to take this to market, if you're not going to show anyone your invention for fear of being ripped off?
    If the device is so simple that once I've seen it I could reproduce it, then you need to patent it. Have you checked that no-one else already has?

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Except for your arrogance and lack of intelligent discourse we don't know much about you.

14. hpcbetter

hpcbetter inventor plus

marine sports and transportation...

Thanks for the encouraging news
    There is enough information about me just a few lines off, if you can read.
    Anyways, I knew I am arrogant and lack any intelligence, that is not news.
    I am not here to show good manners like yourself, but to simply announce that a new technology is available.
    Regards,

15. hpcbetter

hpcbetter inventor plus

marine sports and transportation need...

I have posted a conribution regarding device for handicapped in GENERAL DISCUSSION forum.
    Regards,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.