Joystick Control System

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by navalers_UI, Nov 12, 2008.

1. navalers_UI

navalers_UI New Member

Guys, I need some information about joy stick control system. I want to know how to install it in my ship,:confused:
    thanks for ur help

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Installing the joy stick and the computer is the easy part.
    Digital electronic throttle control for your engine(s) is a requirement, so is electric gear shift.
    And of course the steering must also have a digitally actuated servo system.

With twin engines you could completely omit the steering, even remove the rudders, but you get into big problems if one engine fails.

The computer program must be fine-tuned so the movement of the stick exactly matches the movement of the boat.

An interesting project, please keep us informed.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

A gimble is four resistor circuits.
    There's a mecnanical set up that moves the toggle arms of switches. You dot need to buy a Gimble arrangement if your inventive.
    Otherwise, get the gimble.

The +12V is the supply. That comes in from the center pin, then it goes out one of the four resistors to do some kind of work.

If you had 12V trolling motor back there you'd connect the FWD voltage wire to the Rearmost Gimble switch. The further Fwd you move the gimble, the faster the motor goes.

LEft n' right for turning, Fwd n' back for speeds Fwd, and reverse.

I had another switch in the planning stage to lift the trolling motor.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.