Antique drive question

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Captain Silver, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Captain Silver

Captain Silver New Member

Greetings,

Several years ago I attended a farm auction and bid on a very interesting antique drive system. (unfortunately it sold to someone that had much more cash than I could part with)

This unit was driven with a "hit & miss" engine that was positioned about mid-ship. The drive shaft and prop could be raised into a housing so that the prop was completely hidden and the boat could be dragged ashore or loaded on a trailer without any danger of damage to it.

I have been searching for info on this system but without a name my attempts have failed.

Is anyone here familiar with this old type of drive?

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yeah, they were often used on bay boats too, allows access to shallow waters for beaching. Not at all uncommon really.

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Dispro?

There was one popular brand used on small marsh boats called Dispro I think and other brands/copies. Most of them were very low hp units. Bruce

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Many of the early New Jersey Sea Skifs had a similar setup.

There was even a commercial prop setup , with a universal in the shaft , to assist.

Google the NJ boats and you will find photos of the boats.

A universal under push loads is poor engineering , except with very small HP .

FF

5. Captain Silver

Captain Silver New Member

Thanks for the replies. Through another source I found the "Disappearing Propeller".
    Here is the link,,, http://www.disappearingpropellerboat.com/history.html

I'd like to build a drive unit similar to this for my 14" aluminum boat. I'm not interested in high speed but good maneuverability is hoped for. The photos in this link,,, http://www.disappearingpropellerboat.com/1921catalogue2.html ,, show the position of the prop in it's original application.

My idea is to make the drive shaft longer so that the prop is closer to the stern. Will this idea affect steering?

6. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Arcadia &/or Lunenberg Foundry in Nova Scotia manufactured hit or miss engines and the "haul-up shaft system" you describe. Capt. Jim Orrell (Texas Dory Boat Plans) referenced them in particular, for use with his 27' St. Pierre and Hurricane Dories. I don't know if they are currently manufactured or available.

7. ned L

ned L Junior Member

FYI. --- This feature of a 'disappearing', or fold up propeller was NOT used in New Jersey. The pound boats of NJ had the prop shafts coming straight out of the back of the boxed or rolled garboard keel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.