Mdf and plaster fibreglass mold

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by arekisir, Dec 2, 2015.

1. arekisir

arekisir Junior Member

I have made a mold using mdf and faired it up with plaster.
    Sanded with 40 grit it looks ok. Bits of mdf and plaster are exposed.

Can I roll a coat of tooling gel coat over this direct?
    Or do I need to glass/fair & gelcoat.

Thanks in advance
    Alex

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Sounds like you need something like an epoxy primer/undercoat, not gel coat of any kind.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Or try some Duratec after resin coat
    http://www.ccpcomposites.com.au/duratec-products

not sure if you can get it anywhere else, years back I used to get it from Adtech

check out Innovation composites FB page, some nice MDF tooling there at times

Always seems exxy but so is time.

Jeff.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I was thinking of that, but could not remember the name, I thought duralac, nope thats a jointing compound, duralex, nope !

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Personally, I'd coat it with resin at least 2 coats maybe 3, cut wet and spray gloss black 2k. It will show any flaws.... and give you a perfect surface for release wax, or other release agent.

A quick way to get a semi porous substrate (ie wood) to fill is to use a 2k polyester paint primer. A couple of coats of this sanded and coated with gloss black is almost as good as pure resin coating

6. arekisir

arekisir Junior Member

Thanks Guys.

I have some leftover laminating epoxy so will add a coat of this direct to the mold to seal.

After a quick sand hopefully it's good enough to prime and paint if not will add another coat.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you use epoxy, make sure to wash all the amine wax off before using the mold. Amine wax is a cure inhibitor for polyester and vinylester resins.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I think you should just wax it up and go for it, if 40 grit is "okay". If not, you have plenty more fairing and smoothing to do, at which point you'll have a few different options, but paint is quick, uniform and cheap.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.