Marine glue for wood boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pwillie, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Art4med

Art4med New Member

Thanks, PAR!
    That post is another example of why your viewpoint is so valued here: you directly get-at TheWhy of these building topics. So, while you could collect it all in a book, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun --for you, either.
    Reading this site will make a *huge difference to noobs like me.
    [BTW, *my first build will be a 19' mascareta of Venetian descent: flat bottomed, only 20" of rocker. OK, well maybe I should start with something simpler first for the practice you describe as "a boat or two".]

2. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

How about a Marine Glue to take the place of Weld Wood Marine Resorcino Glue? Anyone know what is being used?:confused::confused:

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Probably epoxy.

4. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

Do you have a name or brand of Apoxy?:confused:

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are several brand name epoxies and you pay dearly for these names. Look into the products at Epoxyproducts.com and Bateau.com.

6. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

Which brand have you used that you would recommend?:confused:

7. hoytedow

PAR makes a good suggestion.

8. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

....and avoids the answers...:D

9. hoytedow

I don't have a budgetary problem so I used West System 105. I found it so easy even I could do it and I am a rank amateur. It is not the cheapest. I have heard good things about Raka but I have no personal experience with it. We are not here to spoon feed you answers but to give you the best advice so you can make your own final decision about your preference of product. Go to the links given and enhance your knowledge. We found a lot of this stuff on our own without helpful clues from objective outsiders.

10. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

I really appreciate your input.You don't need to be crass with your answer,I don't need spoon feeding. I am asking about experience of a use of product! No, I'm not on a budget. In the future please refrain from answering any question you feel put out on in my behalf...Yes, I have read most of the links,and the links do not tell me how well the product has performed,only what they have to sell...I thought this forum was to help folks with in kind answers to boating questions...:D:D

11. hoytedow

To be crass was not my intention. I am sure PAR was trying to be helpful as well. He did not not answer your query. I am sorry you mistook my meaning. I probably could have worded it better. I have a budget, but not a problem with it. We need to budget to avoid problems. As it happens, the West System fits within my budget.

12. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

Thanks Hoyt! I haven't built a wooden boat in 30 years...and the last I built ,we used Weld Wood Glue....I talked to the owner of a wooden boat building co. close by my location,and he said he hadn't used Weld Wood in years,but has a new glue that he said was better! As soon as he gets a new supply,he will call me. When I go out to his plant, I will let folks on this forum know what glue he is using...These people have been building boats(wooden) since 1947...

13. hoytedow

I still have a little WW Resorcinol left over from 1992 but not sufficient to build more than a couple of bookends. DAP quit making it so I turned to epoxy with satisfactory results.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

West System 105 series resin and it's various hardener possibilities are well over $100 per gallon, while the products I listed sites for, will offer epoxy with the same physical properties at $60 or less per gallon, so do what you'd like, but some leg work on your part will be necessary, particularly when it comes time to use the stuff after you've sorted out which to purchase.

As far as using them, well they all pretty much do the same thing, though each having idiosyncrasies of their own. Most of the time it's simply a mater of using established procedures and sticking to them. I personally use several different brands of goo, including a proprietary version. As to performance, again the major formulation all fall within very close parameters to each other. Some might have a higher modulus of elasticity, while another better compression strength, but the figures are irrelevant for the most part, assuming the bond will be stiffer and stronger than the substrate.

For a deeper dissertation, there are lots of texts available, some for novice users, including my "Tips & Tricks" link below. Of course it focuses on application and technique, but there are other sites where you can delve into the very complex aspects of chemistry and performance prediction and testing.

Log onto Systemthree.com and download their free "Epoxy Book" and Westsystem.com and download their "User's Guide" and download their book "Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction", which is an industry standard.

15. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

Thanks Par for your reply....I see you are in Eustis ,Fl. I do business with a refrigerated truck line that makes Eustis its home office....about 25 years....I will keep posting my results,as this project progress's.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.