Newbie building 1st boat (runabout)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by footer32, Jun 6, 2007.

1. footer32

footer32 Junior Member

I am new to the site and have enjoyed reading all of the great material.

I am an avid boater and woodworker and for a very long time have wanted to put the two together.

NOW IS THE TIME!!!

I am looking to build a mahogony runabout 18'-21'

Looking for any insight on style, design, plans, recommendations of any kind would love to hear it all.

Thanks

2. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

I’m surprised no one has welcomed you yet – so let me be the first! :p

YOU HAVE FINALLY ARRIVED! All the information you ever need (and more) is in this forum. Take some time to soak it all in, ignor (or enjoy) the idiots… In any event, it's good to call you one of the lads!

Your question is fairly vague and it’s a bit like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack. I think it’s important to have a basic idea of what you’re looking for in this wide world of boating. You have a size in mind; this is good, now you need to narrow down the choices. Obviously there are many designs within the specified length you mentioned.

Try gathering as much information on the designs in that range. A good start would simply be to go to Google and type in “mahogany boat” – that should keep you going for the next couple of years!

Ultimately, your boat must have significance to YOU. What do you want (look-wise?) How much are you prepared to spend, how much power, must it be trailable or will it be moored? These are all questions only you can answer.

I wish you well on your search for the perfect boat and, hey, when you find it, be sure and let us other fellas know! We’re always here to help and there is definitely no shortage of experts – so keep the questions rolling.

Take care

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Welcome Footer,

I'll second the above. Exploring different designs, plans, and building methods is not just educational, but enjoyable (at least to me).

Where you at? Big country. :)

Tim

4. footer32

footer32 Junior Member

Thank you for the warm welcome gentlemen.

I am looking to build a classic style mahogony dual cockpit runabout. The boat that I have been looking at for some time is a design by Ken Hankinson. It is the barrelback 19' built in cold mold Ply/epoxy planking.

Any advice on the designer, or his plans?

Any coments on this type of construction for a first timer.

I do have an extensive woodworking background. I know that building a boat will be a whole new challenge, but I do know how to work with wood.

Thanks in advance for the information

P.S. I am in the upper Midwest Wisconsin and Minnesota

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Footer,

Welcome, I think you'll enjpy this site. Try looking through forum categories; powerboats, boat design, and boatbuilding should be fruitful, but you've probably figured that out already. You may have found this link already, but here it is if not:
    https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=721

There are links to other sites with tips on building wood boats.

Your choice is challenging, but having a replica of one of the classic mahagony runabouts wil be worth it. You're not too far from some really fine wood boat shows and meets.

Be sure to post photos from time to time. Good luck!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Ken Hankinson (Glen-L) designs have been around for many years (decades) with hundreds built. This is a double diagonal design and construction typical of these runabouts. Now that Glen-L has exclusive rights to his plans,, they may have been updated to include epoxy encapsulation and materials more in keeping with what's available today.

As has been pointed out, this isn't the easiest building method available, but it's within the scope of a skilled wood worker. Glen-L has a few books that may be helpful to your project. Some of these will cover the use of epoxy, molding a hull, frame setup, engine installation, etc. Check out their library.

These are certainly some of the most favored plans, sold by Glen-L and many are working the waters around the world.. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

7. footer32

footer32 Junior Member

Thank you gentlemen for the advice and the encouragement. I am growing very excited with the anticipation for beggining this project.

I was wondering are there any "items, ideas, theories" in the wooden boat building world to absolutely stay away from? I know that is a very broad question with many answers, but I am just looking for any type of advice before diving into this project.

I am aware that building a boat will come at a great expense of dollars and time, but what are some other areas that the first time boat builder may not be aware of?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most first time builders try to ambitious a beginning project. These end up being uncompleted and frustrating the builder. Success comes form completed projects and "growing" into bigger, better, more difficult projects.

The difference between an 18' boat and a 21' boat can mean double the materials, cost and effort. I know a few feet doesn't seem to add up, but things work a tad differently with boats.

I always recommend a small boat like a tender, row boat or small sailor to cut your teeth on, before moving on to the next step toward your "dream vessel". This develops skills, builds confidence and establishes a work ethic that can be put to use on other, more advanced projects.

Think small and grow into your skill level, shop space, tool availability and building experience. The vast majority of 40' cruising boat owners, who built their own boat, did so after several decades of experience and skill development. They started with a 12', then a 15', onto a 18' then a 23', 27', 32' and eventually had the ability, resources and wife that would tolerate their obsession, to build their dream 40 footer.

9. footer32

footer32 Junior Member

Par,

Thank you that is great advice! I would think that many first time builders start on a project that is too much and then do not finish it.

I build custom homes for a hobby now, start to finish so I am not that concerned with the ability to stick with and finish a project. However, I do not want to be nieve, and I will seriously think about a smaller project to "cut" my teeth on.

Great advice that is the type of thing I am looking for any other tips would be great.

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

wellcome....longliner