Marine Fir Plywood?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Winingar, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Winingar

Winingar Junior Member

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Fur ply is difficult to finish. It creates a "washboard" effect when you try to sand it fair, which is amplified the more you sand it. Most times it just has to be filled, faired smooth and painted.

There are several differences between a construction grade of plywood and a marine grade. The important issues are the glue used, which must be WBP and the quality of the panel's construction. A sheet marked A/B is just telling you how well the faces are finished, nothing else. An "A" face is sanded smooth and has few repairs or blemishes. A "B" face has more repairs and blemishes and isn't as smooth. You need to find out what the glue is and the construction tolerances. Construction grade plywood permits large internal voids, overlapping veneers, numerous blemishes and voids and less then desirable internal veneer species. This can't do as planking on a boat, though may have some use inside the boat, as furniture and bulkheads.

Try www.woodfinder.com and get someone reasonably close to you, that has what you need. Personally I don't use fur unless I'm forced by a client. It's just too much trouble to fair the stuff. Mercanti, Okoume and Sapele are much preferred to fur. Also try www.worldpanel.com and have a look at what's generally available.

3. Winingar

Winingar Junior Member

Thank You Par, very much appreciated.

As far as my use for it, I just want to build the framing with it, nothing cosmetic. At $74.00 it seems to be a decent price, although spending $10-$15 more per sheet wouldn't be a problem for me.

Thanks again.