Marine Engineering College Search

Discussion in 'Education' started by MPG, Nov 9, 2003.

1. MPG

MPG New Member

I have been researching colleges for my son (we are looking in the Northeast area) in marine engineering. I have only found military style schools and wanted to know if anyone knows of any other schools/web sites that I have missed. FYI I did go to Webb Institute and requested a brochure but to no avail. I would like to show him other schools that have majors in marine engineering without the military regiment. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

ABET

All acredited engineering & technology programs are llisted on www.abet.org

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Marine engineering as in becoming a snipe? SUNY Maritime, Merchant Marine Academy, Mass. Maritime, Maine Maritime

Marine engineering as in designing ship propulsion systems? Webb Institute

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

1. MIT
    2. Stevens Institute (Ocean Engineering is part of the Civil Engineering Department. Search also Davidson Hydrodynamics Laboratory.)
    3. I think University of Rhode Island also has Ocean Engineering.
    4. You might also want to check out the joint program in Aeronautical and Ocean Engineering at Virginia Tech.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kosmic Sheep

Kosmic Sheep Junior Member

I'm confused a little. What defines a snipe, and what is the difference between marine engineering and naval architecture? That is something that I've been hung up on for a while. In other words, what do the two do that's different?

7. johnjt

johnjt Junior Member

I also know that "Thomas Edison State College" has a Bachelor's of Science in Applied Science and Technology with a focus in Marine Engineering Technology (yah, that's a mouthful!) I've been looking into that myself. It's more of a distance-education program though. Fully accredited. They have a website that is very helpful. Just do a search for the college name.
    Good luck!

8. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

Marine Engineering vs. Naval Architecture

I'm not sure that there is any hard and fast definition differentiating the two, but here's the way I think of it.

A Naval Architect specializes in the shapes, structures and materials of floating objects.

A Marine Engineer is an expert in the systems that make those floating objects do work.

9. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

There are two kinds of marine engineer; one with a Coast Guard license who goes to sea in ship engine rooms (a snipe), and one who does design and ship management stuff on shore (often the seagoing one who has gotten married and has kids). Naval architects also frequently do marine engineering of the shore variety as well, (and some have done the sea variety too).

1 person likes this.
  10. Kosmic Sheep

Kosmic Sheep Junior Member

Cool. That helps a lot. Thanks.

11. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Years ago, a degreed engineer could sail unlicensed for a shorter while than a wiper and then sit the 3rd assistant engineer. Some NA types did this and ended up with engine room licenses before they settled down on shore.

12. maria jin

maria jin Guest

looking marine engg college

I have been researching colleges for my son (we are looking in the Northeast area) in marine engineering. I have only found military style schools and wanted to know if anyone knows of any other schools/web sites that I have missed. FYI I did go to Webb Institute and requested a brochure but to no avail. I would like to show him other schools that have majors in marine engineering without the military regiment. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

13. waterman

waterman Boat Geek

marine engineering schools

The University of New Orleans has a combined NA & ME program. Cut and paste the following web address into your browser for more info http://www.name.uno.edu/ The school is also very affordable for out of state students (around $4500 a semester) and if you are willing to cut your son loose and jump through the required residency requirements, your tuiton will drop to around $1700 a semester. MIT no longer has a naval dept except for gradute degrees...SUNY has a good reputation (although it is quasi military) with heavy emphasis on the practical and you get a U.S. Coast Guard liscense that normally takes many yaers at sea to obtain (a good second career option) (I didn't go thier because of the quasi military (and price) aspect (approx. $7500 a semester), University of Michigan has a very well regarded NA&ME program. Although, watch out for thier residency reqs. If you enter as out of state, you stay out of state (for the tune of 12,000 a semester (or more)). Webb has a good program which is free to those that can get in, however, if you can't carry the insane load that they make you take, you are forced out, and they aren't ABET certified. (Neither is MIT, but who cares? It's MIT! thier reputation is the best) Webb drop out sometimes have problems getting thier credits transferred because of the lack of ABET Accreditation. (ABET is a certification board that makes engineering departments maintain a certain level of quality, Employers want to see this (for the most part)).
    On the other hand, if your son wants to be a marine engineer that doesn't sail, and works on the beach in a office, almost any school that offers a degree in mechanical engineering will work. As a Mech Engr. he will be able apply the same things he learned in school to any marine system. Ship yards are full of Mech. Engr's (and Civil's too). Mechanicals have the greatest range of career options (in my opinion) they can go almost anywhere. They generally need the Naval's to do the hull lines ect. Everything else he would need to know, he will learn on the job. As a matter of fact, most of what he need to know will be learned on the job. Colleges just give you the physics behind it all in a very general sense. My experience as a NA&ME engr. student has shown this to be true. Even if you get a degree in NA&ME you only learn the very basics. They can't teach you everything. Alot of times they can't/don't even teach you all of the basics. ......then again, I have high expectations.......

14. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

15. waterman

waterman Boat Geek

Well, its good to see that the Webb faculty finally realized that ABET accreditation can only help their reputation. It'll make life easier for those who decide that Webb isn't for them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.