Marine Biodiesel fuels

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Apr 26, 2006.

1. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

laugh? we here haven't found still that fun... they got cut the bridges that comunicate our country with Argentina since december... and the Argentinian govt. has done nothing Our govt. estimates a loss of about 300: U$S.. funny?

Shell has closed operations here, sold all the network to PetroBras couple months ago, and as I remember, the guy in charge of the project is not anymore on the payroll, he's even not here in the country... think all archives may have gone to London (Shell Centre headquarters). difficult they make them public someday... (never seen a multinational making public some improvement that can go against his profit, have you? :D )

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Shell doing bio and caring! Don't make me laugh! As a matter of interest I was at Shell Centre (London) the other day when they showed off a car which had supposedly driven around the world (? - the watery bits might have been interesting!) on a small amount of some wonder fuel to prove that it could be done and the great Shell was part of it! Looked good to! when I asked about how much fuel had been wasted on this gimmick in the 'backup' cars (two of em!) I was told this wasn't the point but they wanted to prove that this wonderfull fuel economy was possible! "Yes but how much fuel was wasted" Guess who then got ignored! :(

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  3. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

haven't said they are the Sisters of Mercy....:D:D indeed, they do made the research, about 1991, but, as global projection of results was not profitable enough, they abbandoned it and continue on petroleum fuels (polluting has more profit) :) :rolleyes: ;)

4. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Serious

I didn't realize the situation was that serious with GreenPeace. Can't they be ordered out of the country. Iwasn't laughing at the situation, just your comment was humorous.

5. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

intended to be...;)
    All issue has it's own compensation, we've had a really quiet summer without all those argentinians around in Punta del Este :D :D :D :D

6. EEW

EEW New Member

Biodiesel

Just a note about this process... which my brother uses in a Mercedes in AZ and has helped a few folks with as well -1. The fuel lines of many diesel vehicles need to be replaced, as the type of material will deteriorate.
    2. This 'formula' is also a very good cleaner... do NOT head straight out. You will need to run the vehicle a few minutes... and it will probably konk out, because the fuel filters will become blocked. Plan on cleaning/changing, which may depend on the age and use of your fuel tanks/lines.
    3. The 'soap' residue is great for cleaning, but can be caustic... be careful and rinse thoroughly.
    Other sites to look at:
    How-to: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/
    How-to & videos: http://biolylye.com/index.htm
    Collection of Links: http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/helpfulweblinks.php

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Greenseas2:Refinining oil to make fuel is considered a chemical plant. Operating it in a residential neighborhood is illegal. If you were to post your real location instead of a vague USA, I could quote the laws and regulations for your city.

8. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

As always, when looking for how to do it at home, go to www.lindsaybks.com (Book # 2069) - order a catalog.

9. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Good points

Good points on both sources and fuel lines. The more sources that are available, the better. With marine diesels we haven't had fuel line problems yet, but it's something worth noting and checking. In the past I've cleaned diesel fuel lines but have used straight white vinegar to clean them with. There is no residue. Back to biodiesel production, there are certain processes that can't be ignored or short cut to come out with a quality product. The more information that we can make available to the general public will probably foster even a greater number of home refineries being built. As Solrac pointed out, in figuring production cost, time must be included. I'm retired so the use of my time to make biodiesel isn't important; however, folks who are still in the work force have to time budget and include that time in production costs.

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

This looks even simpler. No refining. (Popular Mechanics-May 2006) Sam

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
  11. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Good information

This is good information. We're just taking the process a couple of steps further so we don't have to rinse the system out with petroleum diesel. The refined vegetable oil is needed for small engines such as diesel boat engines and generators and other diesel motors for different applications. The simpler process that you input is great for warm climates where there are no facilities to heat the vegetable oils for refining.

12. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I've asked the guys:

Dear Sirs,
    Is your system applicable to boats with diesel engines?
    Thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Answer:

Yes it is, it works well with any diesel.
    Charles Anderson
    www.greasel.com

13. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Fishing coop building biodiesel refinery

The Fishermans Coop in Port Salerno, Florida is building biodiesel refinery that is expected to have an output of 150 gallons per day. They are going a little more upscale in using purchased vegetable oil, but figure their cost for production is still well under 90 cents per gallon. The refinery is looking toward future expansion by building a system with a 500 gallon per day output. They have also found a method to use the by-product as the heat source with the help of Florida Atlantic University scientists. We'll check this out and be back with more data on the use of the by-product as fuel for the vat heater. All other components of the refinery are pretty much standard. We just did another 100 gallons here this week.

14. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Another bio tool

After a long cruise, one inexpensive way to clean the salt out of your diesel cooling system is to use white vinegar. Just put white vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket, close the sea valave and disconnect the hose from the sea valve. Put the hose in the bucket of vinegar and fire up the engine. Let it run until most of the vinegar is gone. This is also good when storing the boat ashore for the winter and before putting in nontoxic antifreeze.

15. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Many people's fear is that Brazilians are cutting down so much rainforest to grow sugarcane.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.