Marine Batteries

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by philzero44, Aug 1, 2008.

1. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

I was wondering about my battery when I wont be using it for a while.I'ts an Apollo deep cycle marine battery and do I leave it charged or flatten it for storage.Thanks Phil.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Charge it!
    Then put it on a drip charger or charge again after 3 months.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Apollo deep cycle marine batteries are not true deep cycle batteries at all, so be careful. It must be fully charged, this may take a while to do, check it with a hydrometer. Do not let it sit for 3 months though, , it may be a bit too long really, say every month or two, depending on your own circumstances.

4. philzero44

philzero44 Junior Member

Landlubber,The Apollo deep cycle battery is not a deep cycle battery can you tell me what it is,Because it cost me a lot of money and if it's not I will have to ask the store why.Thanks Phil.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Phil,

Not the fault of the retailer, they just sell what they are told.

True deep cycle batteries have solid lead plates, not plates with lead compound. The Apollo batteries would be more correctly called dual purpose or hybrid, where they can be used as starter batteries (the plates are capable of giving a high CCA rating) and also have a reasonable discharge capacity.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I agree fully with Landlubber. Once a month charge and don't neglect. They don't like being kept on charge 24/7 either. Some batteries also don't like never being used at all.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I concur with Fanie and Landlubber.

My preferred storage method: Take all the batteries out of the boat, trailer, etc. and set them on wood in the basement. A 2-amp, semi-intelligent trickle charger gets to spend a few days with each battery about once a month. This keeps enough charge in the batteries for the plates and electrolyte to remain happy, without overcharging any of them.