Marine Architecture

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Samwise, May 23, 2005.

1. Samwise

Samwise Junior Member

Hey there if you are a marine architect or have any expeirience designing boats on computer id like to ask what progam you are using and how you got it. I am only 16 and have always been intrested in marine architecture. I would also like to know what schools are good for mrin architecture.

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

3. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Free crap...

Hello...

What you want you cannot afford just now, unless your family cottage is in CT...

See www.carlsondesign.com - try the hulls bit and DL the VRML viewer - good free bit for kicks...

And http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/ ...

All others are in the low thousands...

Got to go fetch a wine bottle for my cranky wife...

Cheers...

SH.

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Academic discounts can be pretty nice and get the price down to ~$300 for qualified students... Maxsurf even provides a free version to qualified students http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3548
    Of course, once you graduate you'll be paying :)

My advice as always - if you have a little time, download as many demos as possible from the software listed at http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82 -- find the ones you enjoy working with best, and contact them and ask the details and requirements for academic pricing. Maybe you can even talk your school into getting a lab license :)

As Rob says, see the Education forum for much discussion on various schools and post there any more specific questions you then have.

5. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Before you buy...

Hello...

Before buying a discount student version which in most cases ends up being back dated code...

Ask what OUTPUT you can get from it - even if it is just a proper set of lines in a grouped format with scale and offsets that a loft worker can use on a boat shop floor...

The student or basic versions of many of these 'thesis bits of programming' did not output to same...

But I am an old man...

SH.

6. Samwise

Samwise Junior Member

thanks

hey thanks alot for the advise.
    maybe we can keep in contact.

7. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

Dear Samwise,

We use Rhino with the Flamingo Renderer. It is pretty easy to learn, and combined with education in yacht design makes a very good Marine CAD product. It is also quite inexpensive for a single student license. A major benefit is that the license does not expire when you go pro.

Regards,
    Michael

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Rhino is quite a powerful tool in good hands. Can export/import to and from darn near anything and about as user-friendly as 3D CAD gets. I'm in the midst of learning its myriad tricks and secrets right now. Fun to play with, too, and student licence is cheap.

Rhino will only help you with the modelling and visualization, though. If you want to actually begin to predict how your hulls will behave, you start getting into the territory of programs like AutoShip, FastShip, Fluent, etc. This kind of software is very powerful, but requires an engineering degree to understand and costs well into four or five figures. There's a bunch of free-and/or-cheap stuff that is either as Rhino plug-ins or as standalone programs that work from IGES or other generic file formats; of course, these are all really limited. I don't know many of them too well and they get a lot of bad reviews.

If you want to draw boats on computer, Rhino (or maybe MaxSurf, which I'm not very familiar with) is a good bet. Actually creating workable, predictable designs is far harder.

As for schools- Depends how far you want to travel. Search the old threads on here for discussons on some of the popular ones. If you're serious about it, an engineering degree is also a good way to go if you want a bit more career flexibility.

Despite all this computer technology at hand (I use Rhino, Inventor, AutoCAD, Solidedge, Fluent, Algor, among others), for some reason I always still go back to pencil and paper for most things....

9. fede

fede Senior Member

I didn't have time to go thorugh alle the replies so this might be a double:
    Maxsurf is giving a student version for free...you can do some good things with it.It's a great program!

10. Samwise

Samwise Junior Member

realy thats great
    how can i get this

11. fede

fede Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.