High-Speed Waveless Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waveless, Jul 24, 2005.

1. waveless

waveless Junior Member

High-Speed Waveless Boat (save 50% energy!)

If a boat is running at high speed in a river, it will produce huge wave and disturbed the tranquility of the shore. It not only will turn over the boat near by, but also waste a lot of energy. The aweless boat can run at high speed without wave, it can save 50% energy or increase 50% speed.

Here is my design (Fig.3), the screw propeller of waveless boat is fixed at the front of the boat, when the boat is running, the screw pulls the water into the duct that covered at bottom of the boat, and pushes the water through the duct. Because the water at the front of the boat is pulled into the duct, the water surface is curved to the duct, the boat reduce the resistance (see Fig.1,Fig.2) from 80HP to 30HP.
    Less wave is generated at the duct, and become the force to speed up water backward. The high-speed water replace the space that leavings by forward boat continuously. The water stops at the tail of the boat without generate wave. The current boat (Fig.1) not only affect by resistance at the front, but also at the tail. The water is spurted out by screw propeller at the tail of the boat, and it also pull the boat backward. The higher is the speed and the stronger the resistance.

If the current boat has 100 horsepower (see Fig.1), and running at high speed, the front resistance is about 80 horsepower, the tail resistance is 10 horsepower and the frictional resistance is 10 horsepower.

HP = 80HP + 10HP + 10HP = 100HP

If the waveless boat running at the same speed, it only needs 50 horsepower.

F = 30HP + 20HP = 50HP

This means that waveless boat can save 50% energy.

What do you think about my design?

Attached Files:

• boat.JPG
      boat.JPG
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Does he have a variable speed range prayer?

3. waveless

waveless Junior Member

She is my dream

She is my dream, do not say he please!

the speed is 0-100km.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

That is distance, not a speed. Do you mean kph?

Do you have any experimental results or wave resistance calculations to support your idea? "Pulling water" into the space left by the hull using a screw prop does not necessarily mean that the velocity of that water will produce a waveless solution. And what happens when that water "stops" at the tail?

Good luck!
    Leo.

5. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Sorry, my poor english,

Do you have any experimental results or wave resistance calculations to support your idea? "Pulling water" into the space left by the hull using a screw prop does not necessarily mean that the velocity of that water will produce a waveless solution. And what happens when that water "stops" at the tail?
    =======================================================
    I had done experimental test in my bathtub, the results is perfect.
    without screw prop fitting in the front, you will get more resistance.
    the high speed water is slow down at the tail.

6. yipster

yipster designer

waves disturbing the shore are hullspeed displacement waves, once on plane a speed boat makes little waves.
    the tunnel duct surfaces will increase frictional resistance reducing some wavedrag but probably at the cost of extra energy

7. waveless

waveless Junior Member

waves disturbing the shore are hullspeed displacement waves, once on plane a speed boat makes little waves.
    the tunnel duct surfaces will increase frictional resistance reducing some wavedrag but probably at the cost of extra energy
    =================================
    Have you ever tried a speed boat running at high speed in a narrow river.
    Fortunately, water is a good lubricant, the frictional resistance is very small.

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

To limit water surface disturbance you must limit surface contact area.

Submerged foils of a Hydrofoil may do this, but not as well as a SES (surface Effect Ship) or Hovercraft. All these craft lift the body out of the water in all or in part.

I'm busy today, but if you want to learn more, check out these forum links (see below). By the way, interesting idea you have - looks like a flow tunnel but not quite as efficient as a ducted propeller feed.

Wakes:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7948

Aeroboat and Hovercraft:
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7794

9. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Waveless Boats

People have been building waveless boats for years. They're called airboats.

10. waveless

waveless Junior Member

All these craft lift the body out of the water in all or in part.
    =============================================
    who lift the body out of the water? because the body strike the water at high speed, more wave is generated, and more energy is wasted.

Most boats are not power enough to lift in air.

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

What lifts the body of the craft up off the surface of the water is pressurized air in the case of the SES and Hovercraft. The faster a hovercraft goes the less time the pressure is over one area, the less the wake.

In the case of the hovercraft there is an "air-gap", the craft is actually flying very low over the water. The fexible skirts may come in contact with waves, but they give in, the full impact of a hard hull does not take place. The craft tends to flatten out any wake with an area or curtain of pressurized air captured under the craft.

Read the links.

AeroGlisseurs is the French word for hovercraft or air-cushion-vehicle.

12. waveless

waveless Junior Member

Thank you kach22i,

I like to learn more boat design, but my god let me to be a computer engineer.

13. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Hovercraft

Airboats are not hovercraft.

14. yipster

yipster designer

narrow deep and wide shallow, must have done it all without knowing what i was doing :D
    for CFD (Computer Fluid Dynamics) check and try Leo Lazauskas Michlet 8.05 Pro - Free again! http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8159
    you may also like to try other programs like http://www.acricfd.com/software/CFDStudio/default.htm

15. waveless

waveless Junior Member

yipster,

Thank you too for the software, I know that Fluid Dynamics is most difficult project.

I also have designed a high-speed submarine that is like a dolphin, the dolphin submarine can flying on the surface of the water, and dive into the water. it can glide under water and drive by batteries. if I have time, I will draw a 3D model here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.