Building a raft, what is necessary to make it legal?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by nickydubs, Feb 23, 2009.

1. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

Hello all,

I'm building a raft to float from Chicago, IL to St. Louis, MO along the Illinois river. I don't need any advice on how to build it, I have that set, but I'm sure some will come anyways. My question is this:

What is necessary to make the raft legal in the eyes of any authorities I may run into along the way? I've read on the IL DNR website that all craft must be registered, regardless of length, HP, or anything else, but when I read other posts on this forum I find many who say that under a certain length or HP registration is unnecessary. I also read on the IL DNR website that all craft must be titled, how does one go about titling a craft they've built themselves? I have plans to visit the local Coast Guard to ask their opinion but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post here as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Do you have to go through any locks??????????

3. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

yes, 6 or 7.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You need power to go through locks. No current from one end to the other.
    Talking to the Coast Guard and the Corp of Engineers is what you have to do..

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

are you carrying passengers, cargo etc etc?

6. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

I will have power, I'm just wondering if I can stay under a horsepower limit.

I will be carrying passengers and cargo, enough to stay fed for the duration of the trip, 7 days or so.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you have power, you need state registration. They will inspect your vessel and issue you a HIN.

Illinois boat registration is handled by DNR (as you know) their boating section (site) is apparently down at the moment, but you can call the local office and get the inspection and forms necessary. There is no minimum power requirements for registration.

Try 773/646-3270.

Now, if you're carrying passengers, you'll have a whole different set of hoops to jump through including a skipper's license and a different vessel inspection(s). Plus the boat has to conform to specific standards and be signed off on by a NA and other certification agencies that may be cargo specific.

8. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

I guess i am confused on the definition of "passengers." if these are friends of mine who come along are they passengers? as I understood it from the DNR page they only care about passengers who pay for the privilege of riding.

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

For humor sake--declear them as pets.

10. PAR

Huge difference and one they will make a big deal about. Passengers pay their way, guests don't. Make that distinction or all hell will break loose. Ditto carrying cargo. Cargo is paid transportation, stores, equipment and gear is just along for the ride.

11. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

Fair enough, my craft will be laden with guests/co-owners and gear.

So, now that we've got that sorted, what will I need? I've talked to many boaters in the area and all registered through the mail, no authority has ever inspected their boats.

12. PAR

Getting registered is one thing, getting assigned a HIN for a home built is another all together, which is what you have to do.

Call them, and learn what hoops you have to jump through. It's usually not hard. They want to see you have receipts for materials, equipment, etc. and have paid sales tax of stuff.

You are applying for registration of a "home made vessel", which is way different then calling in your expired registration for a Bayliner, or having a new Bass Tracker registered. They came with HIN's, your boat doesn't have one yet and it needs to be assigned and processed in Springfield.

13. cor

cor Senior Member

I don't know the particulars for IL, but in MN it is easy to get a home made boat licensed. I have built several boats and have never had a problem. I simply went to the DMV and told them I wanted to license a home made boat. They had a short form to fill out with the basic info ( length, power, etc). They never asked for a HIN. Pay the basic fee and that's it. It was really no different than getting a license for a manufactured boat.

14. nickydubs

nickydubs Junior Member

Interesting. is it typical that state DMVs handle boats as well as cars?