dual fuel system for boat

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by bertho, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bertho

bertho bertho

Gents,
    not sure about the proper place for this thread?? :confused:
    we are in Asia and we look for "green" alternative for a small fast ferry (diesel 2X200 kW ),
    already thousand of big truck/lorry/taxi run with dual fuel system (especially in Thailand) , is not gas engine, it's different and for diesel !
    (diesel engines remain intact,( as gas ignition is done with ) , they add LPG at 70% to 80% one of the system http://www.cleanairpower.com/duel-technology.php
    storage volume for compressed natural gas is not a real problem for a ferry as we can reload every day, it's much cheaper and clean than pure diesel.
    some big offshore work boat start already to run with in Norway and Sweden..
    anyone have some input regarding this option ??
    storage can probably be an issue.. but with proper cylinder (composite) in a sealed compartment with ad hoc ventilation and alarms ?need around 3.5 cubic meter storage..at 3600psi (500 liter compressed at 3600psi = +- at 40 gallons fuel) ratio is around 3.3
    thanks
    Bertho

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Which ferry is that then?

3. bertho

bertho bertho

frosty,
    it's a project study for few locations including phuket/phyphy/krabi and khanom/kho samui. less than 22 nm each.. cheer's

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There is more ferries than you could shake a stick at for those locations.

Besides getting shot by the locals for taking away thier business.

Bit more study I suggest. You will meet the mafia before you launch one.

5. bertho

bertho bertho

frosty,
    I know, with thousand of speedboat with 2-3-4 X 200hp++ gasoline outboard on the *** .. mega gaspi !
    don't worry, I'm working for the mafia :) ...the other..
    but is not my question..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.