Manta Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by buzzman, Aug 25, 2015.

1. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

saw this on gumtree and went looking for threads on here, but only thread I could find was too old to reply to, so had to start another thread on Manta trimarans....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/willoughby/sail-boats/manta-29-trimaran/1087109169

""I need cash to pay for my house renovation, and therefore have to sell my lovely trimaran. I've had her for 3 years and she haas never let me down - and the wide deck space allows for plenty of outdoors space for a couple of families.

She is certified for 8, and the Yamaha 9.9 four stroke is recently serviced and is as new (albeit 5 years old).The traailer has new, automatic brakes fitted for safety.

However, I keep her moored permanently in Northbridge, and sail on her almost every weekend in summer.

I keep the trailer in Newcastle, so if you want to trailer her away then that can be arranged.""

Attached Files:

2. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Manta ???

Looks like a lengthened Telstar Mk II or Telstar 28 (from 26ft to 29ft by extending the hull at the stern). Or is it a (Australian) clone ?
    http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Telstar_28
    [​IMG]

Telstar MkII: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ved=0CCsQ9QEwAmoVChMI75iM4pDJxwIVBLUUCh0nmQeb

CLONE: http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ved=0CCYQ9QEwAWoVChMIubvd3JTJxwIVRN4sCh3x1QAO and http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/manta-trimaran-42629.html . Bridgedeck clearance very low - might slam in a seaway.

3. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

I believe it's similar to a Telstar, but not an exact copy, and judging from the pics of it on the trailer, it might be legally trailerable in Oz, which is less than 255cm wide.

It was defintely made here, and several were built before the factory folded, back in the day. Search for the other Manta thread, there's more info there.

4. Manfred.pech

I bought a Telstar Sailing Shell MkI number 50 in 1974. I loved to sail it alone with my friend who had number 51. So we could test our modifications (rudder, centerboard and sails) and our sailing abilities.
    The boats were sailing very well. But the quality of the lamination and the Sandwich of the decks were not sufficient. The after bulkhead (with door) was working visibly when sailing and the decks were too weak. But the boat was cheap.
    I think the Manta is the better boat - as far as I am able to see it on the pics and it is a pity that they stopped building it. It seems to be the better choice. The other Manta thread is in my last posting (bottom http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/manta-trimaran-42629.html).
    I have never trailed my Telstar as I was living very near to the mooring.

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

6. Manfred.pech

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

You mean in the photos in the ad ?

Yes I guess so.

If I was selling a boat though I would do it differently. For example I'd start with a 3/4 shot of the boat not a picture of the harbour skyline at night. I certainly wouldn't put photos of kids/teenagers in the ad. I'd have a shot of the interior looking aft, a shot of the cockpit showing the steering and sheets, bow showing jib and anchor arrangement, coachhouse showing mast base, boom halyards and sheets. I'd also take current photos. Those are the same ones in the old ad a couple of years ago.

Anyone hazard a guess what it's worth in this market ?

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay so less than 25k it would appear !

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

Ok,

Frustrated I couldn't find anything conclusive on them I put an ad on gumtree. I have had a chat to a gentleman who I shall not name because I am retyping what he told me and I think that's inappropriate. FWIW:

He told me he'd bought one years ago to do up and hopefully sell for a profit. It obviously haddn't ended well, not uncommon doing up boats. He said he knew one of the blokes who worked at the builder in townsville. At the time the gentleman's friend was a 16 yo apprentice. so....

They were made with a chopper gun by a pool manufacturer. The hinges are hopeless, potentially dangerous. He reckoned it would be a fair boat on calm water but no way would he take it into a seaway. Hinges screw into 3mm chopper, floppy and heavy, undersize floats. 1/2" ply "beams" between the hinges and cabin to stiffen it and at least one was broken on his.

He said the centerboard was probably the only good thing in the boat. Also there was foam in the coach roof or deck, not sure which. This stiffened this enough to walk on. The trailer was a disaster involving a launching trolley. You can imagine handling that on a bot that big and heavy! He reckoned it nearly killed him the first time he tried to launch it, broke away from the winch and ran down the ramp with him on the transom.

He also said he thought there had been about 14 made.

So not a lot that's good there :) I suppose the boat might be worth something but sounds like a lot more trouble than I'd care to entertain.

I am putting this up because there is basically nothing about them online. Anyone with something to add might put comments here...

Hope that helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.