Manie's TEN

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Keelboater

Keelboater Junior Member

Thanks for posting the links. It's nice to see some good project documentation. I love the shot of you drinking the beer while watching epoxy cure. That's a tough job. :D

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

For the folks that are new to this thread here are some good links to read that will give you very good insight to the history of this project.
    You will see that a lot of discussion took place years ago and you will also notice that when I remind folks of beating the same drum with the same stick, I really mean it when I say that they are not bringing anything new to the table.

I welcomed constructive criticism years ago and finally we settled on the fact that when people had nothing more to offer, other than that the boat was ugly ??? we could move ahead with the project. The ugly boat syndrome even spread to Sailing Anarchy also with no solid advice.

Read here
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/ait-around-ten-49601.html

Read here
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/yrvind-39341.html

enjoy guys and thanks for the phone calls and the private messages
    your continued support is very heart warming and yes we don't loose sleep over the "empty can" critics :D :D :D

3. batabatic

batabatic New Member

Go ahead Manie...Salute...

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

You only live once, follow your dream and always have the satisfaction of knowing you did something special.

5. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Manie,

do you have a map of the route you intend to follow ? The original AIT route seemed like the "easiest" track to go for a circumnavigation.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

We have a Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Satosamicroyachts?ref=tn_tnmn

where we will post tracking (Spot) information at a later stage. Our goal is definitely to sail South Africa to South Africa non-stop. We do not make claims that this a "true" circumnavigation so please guys let's not start that debate over again. We fully agree that a "true" circumnavigation should included crossing the equator, however I believe that to compare apples to apples you should follow the route laid down by Alessandro di Benedetto

http://www.alessandrodb.com/

thank goodness I saved his log as a PDF because I see that they have changed the website completely and all the old photos are gone. If anybody can get the old site please post a link :)

And yes finally - this is going to be a wild ride for probably 8 months. Can we do it? don't know but sure as hell going to try. Can it be done in a "ten" - MOST DEFINATELY YES YES YES :D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

7. Westel

Westel Senior Member

The "non stop" part will be the killer I guess.
    I would favor the Testa way, going from "one harbor to another" and try to enjoy it as much as possible.
    The boat could be a bit more compact possibly give it some more average speed and you would have something to look out for wich isn't thousands and thousands of miles away, even after weeks or months at sea.
    Hat's off to you Manie !!

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Plan "B" is to go by stopping along the way.
    However this creates massive logistical problems.
    Firstly there are very few places where you could stop, New Zealand, Falklands or the Southern tip of Chile = bad news!
    Any stop in the Southern Ocean is going to be extremely difficult, unfamiliar harbours, bad weather and night entries.
    So I personally favour the non-stop idea.
    The well equipped boat can do it, plenty food and water and a highly efficient electrical system.

The real question is can a man go into isolation for 8 months in the Southern Ocean and wake up every day to push the boat as much and as far as the boat can go. This is a challenge of mental strength and endurance, as is most record breaking attempts anyway.

And as I've said before, someone is going to do it, of that I have no doubt.

9. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Yeah, the "how not to go insane/freak out" part is pretty critical.

I watched the full film about Sebastian Näslund's return trip with Arrandir from North America to Europe last night, and a lot of it centered around his self-doubts, worries on what could go wrong, bouncing through pretty harsh conditions, finding ways to keep the spirit up.. The title of the film in translation is "Now I belong to the sea" and that was what it amounted to - accepting and adapting to the present. But he still seemed quite happy to get ashore at the Isles of Scilly and head for the pub :) (He stopped in Bermuda and the Azores along the way also.)

So conditioning the body and spirit for such an adventure needs to be in the project plan for sure.

Edit: First bit of the film I mention - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-mRDmz04aE

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  10. Westel

Westel Senior Member

I think 8 months is "impossible" to hold out on your own if you have a oportunity to end it when things get realy rough. If shipwrecked and on a raft, people have done the most impĂ´ssible things but if you have an 1 push of the button option at hand to get out of the misery........one must have a hell of a strong character to go on and push yourself to go through hell day after day after day instead of pushing that resque button......

Hope you'll make it Manie !!

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Manie, about your proposed route: it may not the the longest route but it's flirting with some of the biggest waves.

Also, be sure to take a drone. And maybe Photoshop us a Megaladon swim by.

12. Builderjeff

Builderjeff Junior Member

This project is to cool. keep up the hard work. Jeff Warner,
    E-Boat Inc. boatbuildercentral.com

13. Westel

Westel Senior Member

It seems that Sven Yrvind has dropped out. He "lost" interest to sail around the world in a ten footer. Must be "good news" for his sponsors who poured a lot of money into that project.
    To me it looked like Sven changed so much during the build of his ten feet sailing boat that he created the impression that he didn't know what he wanted. Very weird for a man with so much experience after 50+ years of sailing self designed/build boats.

....You're the sole survivor at the moment Manie-Go for it !!!!!!!!

14. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Manie will drop out within 3 weeks of sea trial...

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Westel,

Where did you hear that Sven Yrvind has dropped out? His website was updated two days ago to announce that construction of his boat has begun.

http://www.yrvind.com/present_project/

stonedpirate,

If you are unable to add anything either constructive or positive to this thread, perhaps it would be better if you wrote nothing. Manie does not need your negativity. #122 & #126

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.