Manie's TEN

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hi Manie,

Can the use of anti vortex panels (aka chine runners) help at all in reducing leeway?
    Googling it brings your to Bernd Kohler's article quickly.
    Have not really taken the time (short supply as it is) but it does seem to warrant some closer investigation.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I still like the idea of adding of chine runners (Matt Leyden) at a later stage if necessary, time will tell.
    Still holding thumbs that the full keel with a nice Naca profile will do a great job

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

In Sven's latest post he asks?

"I wonder about the bureaucrats in Port Elizabeth will they give problems?"

Sven I will answer you like this, carefully, I don't want to say too much,

South Africa is run by a government of incompetent fools and corruption is rife. We as "locals" know these ******** and how they operate, so we are able to stand up to their nonsense. But for an outsider it would be very difficult if not impossible. There are numerous loopholes but only a local would be able to do this. I am not saying that I won't have problems but a plan "B" is possible. Once a boat like this has proved itself and has had a successful voyage everything will change and it would be much easier for anybody including foreigners. South Africa is totally stuck in the dark ages and sinking fast, but they all love good news. So if somebody goes out there and prove that you don't have to be scared of the unknown they will relax and come around.

Now just a note to the people that read this thread, please don't turn my TEN thread into a long boring political triade, I just wanted to answer Sven, I really dont want to hear your crappy ideas of how good or bad South Africa is. Thanks Guys.

5. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Hi Manie,

Was the question about getting the boat seaworthied?
    If so I think you will be able to make life very hard for the poor sod who has to go and try and work out precisely where it is covered in the current legislation.
    Add to this some biltong and a bottle of Jakkals & Bolf, and you have a fight-winning one-two combination.

6. brewster

brewster New Member

new updates from ManieB ??

7. Mark Thomasson

Mark Thomasson Mark Thomasson

Best of luck with project, some thoughts:

MAST
    I recall a demo of a Windsurfer mast (GRP + some Carbon) being bent almost end to end. So should survive anything.

COOKING
    You will need some cosy pleasures, so I would include some way of heating food. Use free energy, even a small wind generator in the southern ocean will give plenty to heat a small pot of water with a 12v immersion heater, though may take half an hour.

HEAT
    Attach the wind generator to a 12v electric blanket, even 100w will make a huge difference and keep bedding warm n dry.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mark the tip on the electric blanket is a good one especially in an emergency if you need to warm up. Will definately look into it and try.

Jeez actually did a search AND you can get them in Saffa, cheap ZAR 300 will definitely install one on the TEN as a standby safety device.

Cooking will be small gas camping cooker, with the small 190g pierceable gas cartridges, not going to do much cooking just warming up food.

Mast is 101.6 dia aluminium alloy (anodised) - Gr 6063 / T6 - good stuff also acts as flotation if blown down.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok folks the boatyard is open again and work commences this Saturday jeeehaa - cant wait to start sniffing epoxy fumes again :D

gotta get the TEN in the water now asap :)

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Attached Files:

• 44.JPG
      44.JPG
      File size:
      181.3 KB
      Views:
    • 47.JPG
      47.JPG
      File size:
      265.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

That cement deck is going to be heavy... :D

You haven't answered my e-mail suggestion regarding the keel plate for stability...

13. Westel

Westel Senior Member

I agree, that concrete deck is going to give you problems Manie...:D

When I first set up the keel of my ten footer, that bloody thing looked redicilous.......... small. It improves when the sheeting is completed though....a little:(

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Lofting done !!!

Well it's been a good week, the weekends of course are hectic because I usually start working at 5 am and often work until 10 pm. Needless to say that Mondays I'm half dead, stiff and sore. But sitting at the desk and talking to construction customers is not my idea of fun anymore. I just wish that man from Nigeria will sent me my trillions that I won in the British lotto because then I can get on with my boating life :D

Stitching panels together is both ART and SCIENCE - it's not easy and you need to have a very good feel for the wood. The marine plywood that I got from Universal Plywoods is great and these panels are 4mm plywood. Keep in mind that this is the inner hull, 50 mm of insulation is still to come and the the outer hull will be installed.

More here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TY60sXGCww

and here

http://maniehjbotha.wordpress.com/

well at least it is starting to look like a boat
    a very small boat - but a boat nonetheless :cool:

and definitely not everybody's cup a tea, but that we know by now :p
    have fun kiddos and have a good week
    go and build a boat !!

Attached Files:

• 67.JPG
      67.JPG
      File size:
      161.7 KB
      Views:
    • 68.JPG
      68.JPG
      File size:
      137.3 KB
      Views:
    • 70.JPG
      70.JPG
      File size:
      216.6 KB
      Views:
    • 78.JPG
      78.JPG
      File size:
      221.6 KB
      Views:
    • 89.JPG
      89.JPG
      File size:
      249.8 KB
      Views:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Dit lyk soos 'n klein ark !
    Beter 'n duif saamneem sodat jy land kan kry ;-)

(I'm saying it looks like a small arc, better take a dove so he can find land... for those of you that know these stories.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.