Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

This is a little overdue, but I wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I hadn't thought about the fouling aspect of the furler. Good insight.

2. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Manie is almost as good at getting into things as he is getting out.
    Now he's getting into a ten foot yacht.

Seriously, how are things Manie? Have you started cutting wood for the ten yet?

I finally got the cnc going, it was a seris of false starts, some real gremlins almost got the better of me.
    Busy cutting a nice little 18 foot deep-vee center console for a mate.

I finally gave in myself and bought a 50% share in a little fishing boat.
    Yamaha 30 on the back and it goes like a sewing machine. So when you come and do seatrials in Zululand, I can at least now be of some real assistance.

1 person likes this.
  3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi guys, I posted 2 new videos just to get a bit more up to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZxwVtF8U4
    I took these pics as I was about to leave on Sunday, that's why the motor is off. This now the permanent mooring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KvwDz0DuyQ
    this is just a compilation of short videos on Friday afternoon and the rain Saturday morning.
    Friday night it stormed like crazy and the thunder and lightening was crazy wild. You can see a pic of my Garmin in this video that shows my "path" on anchor during the night. I was amazed to see that I had done a full 360 during the night, sure gets the adrenalin flowing.

Anyway I will be able to post more pics and videos of the sailing and the sail, now that I am more settled at Bayshore, and that I am getting more organised. Definitely still a couple of small changes I will make to the rigging BUT this sail works very well and I will post more "technical" data every time I go down to the boat.

Now having said that I can assure everybody that my next boat will definitely have exactly the same rig. The balanced lug sail is a pleasure and the principle of the roller reefing on the boom is just fantastic. I am 100% happy with my "experiment"

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Daai tweede video lyk soos toe ek en Rina gaan seil het op Roodies... die bokke wei so heen en weer verby jou. Niks klink soos reen op 'n boot nie, soos jy se heerlik !

Sorry I was just wondering if Manie gets lonely sailing all by himself.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Fanie, I'll try to translate . . .

‘‘ That second video looks like when I and Rina go sailing on Roodies... the goats graze back and forth right past you. Nothing sounds like rain on a boat, as you say delicious ! ’’

What and where is ‘‘Roodies’’ and can you recomend it . . ? ?

1 person likes this.
  6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL Angelique. Google is a lot of things but...

Roodies (Roodeplaat) is a very small lake adjacent to a reserve near Pretoria, it may come up if you google it, so the goats are kinda wild and diverse if you know what I mean. Delicious ? perhaps if you want to taste it, but I'd say rather like enjoyable...

There was no wind that day, the deer fed back and forth past us as we were "sailing" or floating if you want. During this high speed sailing the Afrikaner water police came charging in with their rubber duck and ramped into us, they were that keen to find something illegal... About as exciting as it got that day.

7. Angélique

Hi Fanie,

I thought Afrikaans ‘‘heerlik’’ = ‘‘heerlijk’’ in Dutch, which is ‘‘delicious’’ in English, but you're right that's only right for taste, in the given context I should have translated it as ‘‘so nice’’ or ‘‘enjoyable’’ as you say . . :idea:

Thanks for the info, ‘‘Roodeplaat’’ gives many hits -- link -- link -- looks like a nice place . . :)

[​IMG]

Don't sail over the edge . . :eek:

[​IMG]
    click pic to enlarge

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Why not ? It's nice down there :rolleyes:

I see you found some goats :D

Geez, I thought it looked too good to be true. That dam is in a septic condition most of the time, mostly covered in green algae that becomes septic when the wind blows it to one side. Just another septic hole of water mostly. Manie will tell you, if you drink it you will die.

9. Angélique

Hi Manie,

I just noticed the last link in your signature contains the code ‘‘[SIGPIC]’’ and ‘‘[/SIGPIC]’’ which causes it to dysfunction.

10. Angélique

[​IMG]

Blesbok from: The book of antelopes by Philip Sclater in 1894. Couldn't find the book of goats . . ;)

11. Angélique

Well, that makes the other link looks to be more correct . . .

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL Angelique, sewage hole is more like it.

Look, we have some pretty large goats here, because of their size we often have problems getting rid of the carcasses, so we have to come up with ideas for it to be useful after we ate the rest...

Attached Files:

• Cow.jpg
      Cow.jpg
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Some funny "goat" stories.

Someone I know who has two bull-terriers, said yes to his neighbor when asked if he wanted some bones for the dogs when he goes hunting. He says next thing this neighbor throws a whole Kudu carcass over his wall, just the meat cut off. The two bull-terriers just lived next to the carcass for the next three days while he figured out a way to get rid of it...

Many farm houses had a porch, called a "stoep" that went around the house. These were usually red pollished and slippery as ice. So someone told me one day when he came out of the door, as he rounded the corner of the house on the stoep he walked smack into a zebra (one of those striped goats :D). He flew back around the corner and next thing he heard the ga-dup, ga-dup, ga-dup, ga-dup, galloping sound non-stop of the zebra. So finally very puzzled he peeked around the corner and there was the zebra galloping at full speed on one spot because of the slippery stoep.

I heard a story of some hunters, one shot a Blouwildebees (Blue Wild Beast :D). Very excited the guy got on the Blouwildebees to pose for some photo's, the next thing the Blouwildebees got up and took off with the hunter on it's back... It was just stunned by the shot.

This hasn't happened yet, but from peripheral vision I can see it. Some okes freeze when they have a hand grenade and you pull the pin, they get brain-lock or something. The animals we have here are really tough and can be very aggressive when they are wounded, hence the warthog is called "the poor man's leopard" and the Blouwildebees is called "the poor man's buffalo". Make no mistake, they can be very dangerous and aggressive. So if there are not a chance to get a second shot off, it is often required to scramble up a tree to escape the wrath of such an animal. Now once up there, if this guy gets brain-lock, you are not going to get him down out of that tree. The best would be to cut the tree, put it on his vehicle and have someone drive him home so his wife can talk him out of it. Most blokes listen to their wives.

14. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Amen.

Truth be told, they scares the living daylights out of us:(

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Wynand,

That they do.

My mother got a call from someone who told her he's her secret lover.
    She told him to stay secret and put the phone down ;)