Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Attached Files:

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Manie, are you going to melt the rebar pieces and cast the bulb, or pour concrete or resin or something on the stacked pieces to form the bulb ?

Last option would produce a larger bulb which has a bigger frontal area and a larger wet surface and thus more resistance as is necessary.

In Ghana there are options for cheap casting as well as cheap steel or lead, is there no such thing at a reasonable distance from you ?

Or have the bulb made over there on your first trip with a concrete chunk or something as temporary bulb . . . ? ?

Here's a ‘‘Blast Furnace’’ example that easily and cheap can produce the bulb in the streets of Suame Magazine in Kumasi, Ghana. *
    * if you provide a model of course . . :idea:
    Good luck !
    Angel

2 people like this.
  3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Manie,

Did you take a vacation?

wayne

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Well, by ‘‘cheap’’ is meant the local price, problem is the ‘‘white price’’ and that they're not in a hurry to settle for less from what they see as a ‘‘bag of money’’ :!:

Cheers,
    Angel

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well folks I did have a vacation :D
    We had a public holiday here on Tuesday so I left on Friday morning early and only came back Tuesday=yesterday
    This time of the year we get the summer winds that blows in our rainy season - so it becomes very dusty - huge dust clouds that get blown for hundreds of kilometres.

None the less I had a good time. 5 days on the boat is like heaven.
    The next opportunity that I will have to spend a couple of days on the boat will only be early January - as they say "it's lousy" but that's life.

Angel the easiest for me is to pack the bars carefully in the "mould" and then encase it all in epoxy. We do have options like smelters but they are far away and expensive. My system is good enough for a 5 knot cruising speed.

So now my weekends will be spent working on the boat again ;) no more long weekends for cruising :mad:

The photos show how conditions can change there.

Attached Files:

6. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Good on you, Manie. I hope you have great weather in January

7. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Hey Manie, how are things going with the boat project?

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi MoeJoe, well the economy is terrible here and of course with the passing of Nelson Mandela this morning who knows what's next. Our living conditions is still the same (good) but everything just becomes more expensive by the day. I got some reasonable work for next year that is FANTASTIC and that means I will get back to the boat now.

I do have 90% of everything that I need in stock, so it's not a money issue. The problem with a project like this is that when the mind is "down" it is very difficult to get motivated and work on a boat. It is very important to get the head in a good space. I've tried the "wine-women-and song" tricks but at my age that doesn't work anymore either :eek:

But the good news is - I'm back :D

Attached Files:

9. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Alright, keep the vision of first time you switch off the engine, hoist the sail and make the first couple of tacks. Almost there! :cool:

Sad news about Mandela. An epic statesman. Hope SA can keep it together and work towards true potential.

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Sad day for the world but we have to go on.

Attached Files:

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Manie, I still may end up in Melanesia - Do not know exactly where yet as everywhere seems to be heading fast for some sort of disaster Dentrecasteaux still seems good.(N of Cairns)

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Oh well folks it's been a long time since posting
    maybe too long :(

anyway all sorts of things
    firstly = empty nest
    it's one of those strange questions that when you ask it you probably wont understand the answer

I never really understood the concept of a hole in the heart
    now I do
    the good news is my son and his beautiful lady are working in Taipei Taiwan as teachers and 100% totally happy
    my daughter is final year in Bloemfontein and in a serious relationship with a wonderful guy that we are very fond of

:D I'm drawing boats and started finishing the 5m Fargo
    the missus is hiking in the mountains with her mates
    and everybody is happy :D

So to Dries and Wynand (where is Fanie???) I'm on the go again.
    Using Colin's offcuts :)

Just - guys 5m is a big boat
    next one is 3m
    survival capsule style :eek::p:eek::p

so here is the wing keel going together ;)
    got the drawings done for the mast step

yeah yeah yeah it's going again

Attached Files:

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Manie,
    Just because you were out gallivanting doesn't mean we are not around. I was holding my breath to see when you were going tot pop back here ;)

WELL ? ! ? ! How far is the 5m dinghy from completion. If I hit the 90's I may have developed other interests like wiemen and not boats any more, one can hold on to one interest for only so long, you know :p

My one friend is leaving tomorrow going fishing without me. I think I must get another something to call him by other than "friend". Dammit the fish are missing me terribly :(

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Fanie my 5m "ship" is almost complete ;)
    now it's time to build a proper displacement yacht 3m @ 1ton :D

anyway good to see you up and about :cool:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

What do you mean "up and about" ? I'm getting younger, not older like you chaps ;)
    When I hit the late 30's I'm going to build my cat, just a small 8m jobby. Foldable of course.

I see you get more and more 3D printers, pretty soon you can cad your boat up, print it and in a bit you can head off to the nearest pothole to test the thing, not all this sticky resin stuff.