Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Manie,
    THAT is all that matters, You the builder are happy and content with your building efforts. Go Manie Go...

1 person likes this.
  2. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

enough space for your gin tonic and your wine, what more do you need?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Looks great!

Voyage 6.

Where all have you been?

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Complete set of build photos.

Well folks, with the success of the last trip and the relief that the boat is really comfortable for extended periods of time, I am now highly motivated to get the boat sailing. My focus is now totally on getting the mast up with the balanced lug rig. The boat in it self is not finished, but I am starting to realise that you are forever thinking up new ideas to make living more comfortable. But these “extras” can wait now; sailing is now the primary goal.

Over the years the amount of visitors to the blog has been fantastic and inspiring. The little boat has most definitely got a huge audience out there. At the best the blog had well over 5000 visitors per month and it usually sits between 2000 and 3000 per month. When it went over 5000 per month, I was blown away and really could not understand it. That is when I started learning how Wordpress statistics works. They have many really clever analyses that give results from all over the world. The big surprise was that ITALY has as many followers as the USA. So to all the supporters - A BIG THANK YOU.

The support and interest keeps one going. When you start a project like this there are many times that you get tired (and lazy) and then when somebody drops you a simple short little note :- “How are you – what’s up” -you get off your backside and you get on with it once again.

I have over the years also learned a lot from all the mates at Boat Design. Net, this has been my crutch and where my help came from, time after time. Some of my questions were silly and some good but I always got honest and helpful response from all at BD.net. To all at BD.net - YOU ARE THE GREATEST you have become personal friends that I will cherish forever.

So with all of this in mind, the one primary thought that stands out above all is,

GO SMALL AND GO NOW.

And that is why I sat down, took the time, and did these slide shows of the entire build.
    You guys, all of you, have helped me along, so I hope that this contribution of mine can help and inspire you. Hopefully it will inspire somebody somewhere and I am sure somebody will get a kick out of this.

The next chapter of my adventure has started, get her sailing to go and explore the many lakes and harbours out there. The focus will become less building and more exploring.

Thanks guys, Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMzaNFAZV38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtRN07yFgBs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-dNQOdRsg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vECnZKQFOyM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nZoQKRR880

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I heard 10,000 crocs escaped from a SA zoological park during a flood. Was that in the same general vicinity?

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

It was in fact 15 000 crocs that escaped from a croc farm.
    I was surprised, never knew that croc farming got that big around here.
    It is very far from us, right on top of our northern borders with Zimbabwe, and Maputo. It does not affect the Vaal river or the Orange river systems which are south and more in the middle of south africa.
    Thank goodness for that because a very small boat and crocodiles is not my idea of fun.

El_Guero I have only been to Hartbeespoort dam which is very small = one weekend to see it all - and then now for the 4x time to the Vaaldam which is South Africa's second largest dam. This trip 6 was the big one for me = 7 days and 6 nights that I was permanently on the boat. It was the eyeopener. Living on a small boat alone for a week, completely isolated from "civilization" and no cell phone signal for 2 days, is a very good test of your preparation and planning skills. You learn very quikly what the importance of good navigation is, one motor one propellor. That breaks and you will be out there for a long time.

So the exciting thing is now, that the trips will come. The next one will be with mast and sails to Gariep Dam, which is the biggest dam in South Africa with a 360 MW Hydro-electric power station.

7. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Looked through all of the youtube videos with build photos, thanks, was interesting and educational. Hope to build my own boat also some day, probably also a trailer-sailer as I like that concept. But for now I'm learning enough by renovating & upgrading my StorTriss Mk2.

Question, perhaps stupid and/or already answered: Do you intend to sail her in the Atlantic or Indian Ocean, doing extended single-handed trips? Looks like the boat would be up for the task.

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

MoeJoe the plans is still very much alive to singlehand the Indian ocean.
    I like everybody else also got hit hard by the world recession but the good news is that life is more or less ok now.
    I am in no hurry, so the plan is to do the four biggest dams first and then start the coastal hopping.
    Problem is that I live in the interior, the sea is a whole days travel away, that means I already loose 2 days just travelling and then you can add another day for setting up when I get there. I can only get away from work a week at a time.

The good news is I have 90% of materials IN STOCK to do the lifting keel AND ALL THE RIGGING
    So this second faze of the build is well underway and will be very exiting.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

About time Manie ! Good grief !
    Do you still plan to steal one of the city council's lamp posts for a mast :D

BYW, I have some much better nicer dimmable lights for the boat if you're interested... much better than what you have currently. Just saying.

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Fanie I am happy with the lights you made for me, thanks.
    Still got 2 spare "in stock"

regarding the sailing
    it has not been a high priority up to now
    on the Vaaldam you can only "sail" in front of the dam wall and around the island, there are other places as well
    BUT if you want to do these "exploration" trips up the rivers that feed these dams your sails are useless - you will motor 99% of the time
    The main problem is the Vaaldam is actually very shallow with many shallow spots.

Gariep - Vanderkloof and Bloemhof are all deep and we know the wind can blow like crazy over the Freestate - so sailing makes more sense on the big 3 dams.

Anyway at this stage it looks like I am doing Vanderkloof next soon
    I have never been that way and am really looking forward to the adventure
    a week of bliss in the middle of nowhere cruising between the hills

Attached Files:

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Just for the guys - general info

Vanderkloof Dam is South Africas highest dam wall at 108 metres (354 ft).
    and a surface area of 133.402 square kilometres (51.507 sq mi)
    the hydro-electric powerstation is •Two 120MW units •Installed capacity: 240MW

http://www.eskom.co.za/c/article/48/vanderkloof-power-station/
    http://www.dwaf.gov.za/orange/mid_orange/vanderkl.aspx
    http://www.vanderkloofdam.co.za/

I am going out on limb here but from what I have read this is the dam with the best scenery - lots of cruising in the mountains - not flat like the Vaaldam

12. Werneral

Werneral New Member

Been lurking here for a while now and just have to tell you how much I'm enjoying your project. It's a beautiful boat and great that you're sharing the process in such a thorough manner.

If I could I'd like to ask couple questions. I've read the whole thread thus far, but spread out over time, so apologies if you've already touched on these.

One, any thoughts about making the plans available once you're done?

Two, curious about your choice of what I'd be tempted to call a ballasted daggerboard over a pivoting centerboard.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Werneral thanks.

To make plans available is just too much work.
    I am quite happy to share what I have got from the Freeship files.
    But if someone is realy interested in the concept I would re-draw the Freeship files with the minor modifications.
    If you have built a couple of small projects first - a bigger project is far less daunting.

The centerboard was a personal choice, to my mind the dagger board is much easier and quicker to build, it is simply a board sliding up and down in a casing. The pivoting system takes more space in the cabin which I find intrusive.
    The bulb keel is fantastic because you get the weight as low down as possible and this also means less weight, this means it is easier to tow.

14. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Manie, please call me, I lost your number. Sim card fury overrode common sense this morning......
    My no has stayed the same.
    Sorry about this public post, I could not work out how to PM you???

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi guys,
    Well finally I am back at working on my boat.
    I will post pics over the next couple of weeks.
    The transom is changing to make access to the motor easier and to lift the motor higher to avoid damaging the prop in murky shallow waters. And I am changing my rudders setup.

We are in the middle of winter - but to be able to enjoy some time on the water in summer I need to get of my butt and start working on the boat ;)

Mandela is all the news all over the world as he is now being kept alive with machines - Obama lands today - so yes we just stay at home and avoid the cities. The main reason why I have been so quiet over the last 5 months is simple - "no money"
    One of the big contractors filled for bankruptcy and 30 of us smaller sub-contractors never got paid. I managed to pull thru - but only just - primarily because I have virtually no debt.

Anyway, I thank the stars for my little boat because it is therapy to go and cut wood and sniff epoxy fumes :p

1 person likes this.