Maneuverability Standards for Small Craft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bluewave, Jul 29, 2014.

1. bluewave

bluewave Junior Member

Hi,

I'm trying to research the standards or typical procedures (if any exist) for small high speed craft with respects to controllability and maneuverability.

Do any standards or industry accepted tests exist similar to the IMO Standards for Maneuverability? Such as zig zag tests, turning circles, directional stability tests...

Questions I have are:

- What tests are normally applied to small high speed craft?
    For example if a novel 10m RIB was produced, what is it bench marked against?

- Is it acceptable to apply the same IMO standards (based on large vessels) for small vessels?

Any info or resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mudsailor

mudsailor Junior Member

ISO and ABYC standard for maximum power include a turning test, but it is really pass/fail and targeted towards defining if the boat can carry X amount of power, not grading a boat as good/better/best

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Bluewave, Welcome to the Forum. For starters, you can try this:

7 Standard Maneuvering Tests

Most of these can be performed on small craft. The last one refers to submarines.

I hope that helps, at least some.

Eric

1 person likes this.
  4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Here I attach a list of ISO standards applicable to recreational craft (small boats). There are no rules, as such, about maneuverability.
    Existing standards never intended to judge the goodness or appropriateness of a boat. The intention is to indicate the methodology of some tests that look for how the boat responds to certain actions, so that the pilot knows what to expect in an emergency.

Attached Files:

5. bluewave

bluewave Junior Member

Thanks Mudsailor, Eric and Tansl!

Those IMO maneuvering tests were the ones I had in mind Eric.
    I understand they are for larger ships but in lieu of dedicated small craft tests hopefully the results they produce will be fruitful for a benchmark.

Cheers!

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

There is turning test prescribed in standard ISO 11592 'Small craft less than 8m length of hull - Determination of maximum propulsion power rating'. It is actually about max horsepower, but is also regulating maneuverability in indirect way.

Standard maneuvers such as zig-zag, etc. are not really applicable for small craft because these maneuvers happen very fast.

During sea trials, we conduct following tests related to maneuverability:

- turning tests - definition of turning diameter, heel, drop of speed, for various speeds and rudder angles. Usually taking 3 full circles, one can define diameter using GPS/chartplotter image.
    - crash stop tests, definition of advance and longitudinal acceleration by accelerometer (safe levels).

Other parameters are of less importance.

The results of turning tests are later used for stability assessment using HSC Code criteria (used for patrol boats)...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.