Maltese Falcon ... hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Stephen Ditmore, Jun 29, 2006.

?

Maltese Falcon, hit or miss?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2007.
  1. A triumph!

35 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. Interesting

58 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Uninteresting

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. A truly stupid concept and a complete waste of time

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. mighetto

mighetto New Member

Perkins's named the vessel with purpose. If you remember her launch you remember that Patty Dunn of HP and Barclays Bank was dis-invited. The name of the vessel itself invokes the stuff of spys. Dunn was responsible for stealing the identities of several reporters and even nuclear lab workers in an effort to discover leaks from the HP board of directors. Perkins quit that board in disgust when he learned what she had done. We may never know how social security numbers were obtained but Dunn implied in congregational testimony that there was a database "out there", I am thinking at Barclay's bank. In any case it was clear that she didn't think anything done was illegal in the US let alone wrong. This has me thinking it is normal business at Barcley's Bank and the European Union in general. Perkin's new project had better be a book about the outrageous behavior multi-national corporate officers untilize. The bribing and corrupting of heads of state by those with a business purpose.. that kind of thing.

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Dyna Rig verses Falcon Rig

This subject came up on another forum so I thought I would reference it here.

I have seen several references to renaming the Dyna Rig onboard Maltese Falcon to now be called the Falcon Rig. I would say justly so, as they really did very considerable research and prototyping to make it a viable sailing entity.

Also on that forum there was this announcement:
    65M Dyna Rig Clipper

Dykstra and Ken Freivokh have designed a 65M Dyna Rig Clipper. It is a two masted Dyna Rig done in similar fashion to the Maltese Falcon. The vessel is of an aesthetically pleasing design. Sleek, modern, fast and even futuristic looking, if built, this design will surely be a hit for years to come.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_LwWbpE5yR74/RtvO216q2tI/AAAAAAAAAB0/pqygCx8dqUw/s1600-h/65m2FLC-profile01a.jpg

3. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Look like melting battleship under 2 giant candles.
    MF looks better to me. Sorry.

Attached Files:

4. J DUFOUR

J DUFOUR archimanadesigner++

well,
    How many projects shown in books are really buid as they were designed at the begining . You take a motoryacht , put two masts and sell that like something very original and futuristic. of course , it must be very expensive if you want to find the futur owner !

One thing , I really like the picture of BWD , but it mise someting to be perfect , the telescopic forward mast for the radar and nav sat antennas

5. brian eiland

That is funny.:D

I didn't care for the looks of that hull design either. What is with the reverse bows, and wavy windows...too 'artsy' for my taste

I thought this two-masted version was much nicer

Attached Files:

6. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Thanks.
    No offense to the arch./artists of the rendering, who are deservedly respected.
    I don't suggest a poop deck but with the square sails, need some topsides with character!
    Otherwise you have a klingon ship with Johhny Depp as captain.

7. brian eiland

Speaking of a wavy windows and a little too artsy, how about this new Azimut 47. Sorry, I just don't see any redeeming value in these type designs.

Attached Files:

8. brian eiland

RailView

...lets get back to a beautiful view of this vessel, courtesy of Amory Ross

Attached Files:

9. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Neither do I. But seas are becoming saturated with this kind of things all around. Making waves. :mad:

10. brian eiland

Does kind of make you want to be there, doesn't it.

Too bad I couldn't get the whole length of the photo in to the width allowed on the forum (another forum), as the extended back deck creates yet another different perspective, especially with the two crew members standing at the rail

This photograher, Amory Ross, does a great job !!

Attached Files:

11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

There's a theory going around that designers of these things take their cues from the sports/luxury car industry. In the '80s when cars were square and boxy, boats adopted angular windshields and superstructures. In the late '90s when looking like a jelly-bean was all the rage on the highway, motoryachts started to turn into rounded, Ford Taurus-like bubbles. Now that BMW, Mercedes and Lexus are all about the creased edges and pulled-tight skin, production motorboats are following suit.
    With the current hot trend in cars being efficiency, space and minimum fuel use, I wonder if mainstream powerboats will follow suit....
    Now this is a yacht that doesn't follow the whims of the car stylists. What a beauty she is, and one helluva piece of engineering. Looking forward to the reports of how MF handles open-ocean storms, once she's had a chance to meet some decent ones.

1 person likes this.
  12. brian eiland

1 person likes this.
  13. keelbolts

keelbolts New Member

re: Maltese Falcon

I am a big fan of traditional: I sail a 1952 British ocean racer, but I like her. She is simply a modern square-rigger. She's what they would have built 300 years ago if they could have. Nobody appreciates the past more than I do, but let's not fail to move forward because we refuse to turn loose of the past. Besides, she's no uglier than 99% of the modern plastic crap that's all over the place these days.

14. brian eiland

on 60 Minutes

If anyone sees this message they are due to have Maltese Falcon on 60 minutes in a few minutes

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Thanks Brian-I saw it thanks to the e-mail notification of your post. Tom Perkins is quite a guy! Cool computer control system for the rig-and the submarine-I want one...
    Thanks very much!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.