Jongert or Robert Brasted

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by triggerfish, Oct 14, 2010.

1. triggerfish

triggerfish Junior Member

Can anyone help me with identification of a yacht I bought last year. I believed her to be a Jongert but have since been told she may be a Robert Brasted design. I have tried various searches but cant find any info on Mr Brasted. She was originally called Spirit of Labrador or Lady Dorothy.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Any pictures?

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

You bought a yacht and you're not sure if its a Jongert or Brasted?

Hello?

4. triggerfish

Ha ha yes, and its not the first time I've bought and restored a yacht of 'unknown origin.' I was told she was a Jongert and had no reason to doubt that at the time. The hull and topsides are all galvanised steel. She has the huge aft cabin you'd expect from a Jongert. The gorgeous lines and lifting keel, and the joinery inside is of the highest quality. I know nothing,however, about Mr Brasted. If this is one of his designs and build then she is as good as any Jongert I have ever seen of compairable age.. There should be some pictures attached but I'm new to this site and haven't found out how to access them yet.

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Could you try again - for some reason the images didn't attach to your last post. Make sure you click the upload button after selecting the images (if they're large images it will take a moment for them to upload - you'll see a list of "Current Attachments" that have been uploaded once they make it to the server) and then submit the new or edited post. Sorry for any inconvenience.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

There's this....I believe this boat was named Spirit of Labrador...

From Yachting World 1976........

Brastedschooner.jpg

7. triggerfish

Oh my god !!!! Yes, that is her, thats fantastic, thank you so much !!!! Well I guess that just about clears it up... Not a Jongert after all... Thanks again.

8. triggerfish

Tried to attach the pictures again but no joy. I will try once more. That was a fantastic response though, so thank you very much. I tried to find the article in 'yachting World' Magazine archives but had no luck again.So if anyone has more information on either 'Spirit of Labrador' or 'Lady Dorothy' or indeed Robert Brasted, it would be very much appreciated.

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

trigger....

The above pic is a tiny brokerage listing from Northrop and Johnson's Cannes office (which no longer exists)......from the days when the broker adds where in the front of the magazine!

Anyway I know her name because (I'm sure) she received some small editorial coverage in Yachting World......I haven't laid my hands on that yet....but I may come across it someday. When you have 4000+ magazines laying about and almost no index except what's in my fading memory......it's a tossup whether anything will ever be found.........

Brasted is another puzzle....no info at all.....I have an idea that somewhere in my pile of Yachting World's there are some drawings of another Brasted design.....a 40-50' cold-molded ketch.....which I believe was actually built.....But I think that's the only other Brasted design I know of.....He seems to have appeared and disappeared.....probably he worked for someone and moonlighted a bit???? I just know nothing.......

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

there would have been a million dollars in the difference in the buy price if it was a Jongert versus anything else so you know what you bought.
    ( A GM in a Jongert...not)

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

This is currently about the bottom of the Jongert market....not exactly a million buck boat....but not as big as Spirit either......http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=1463969&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=29344&url=

I can find Jongerts with Cummins, Volvo, Mercedes, and MTU power........We looked at using the Jongert yard in the mid 1990's, they were very open to different ideas and happy to adapt to our methods and requirements......

Here's more info on Mr. Robert Brasted....again this is a design page from Yachting World...note they do feel the need to explain who this guy is....so we assume he was not widely recognized.......

Brasted.jpg

1 person likes this.
  12. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Here's the first page of a rather wonderful piece on cruising in Spirit of Labrador, including some info on the origins of her name......Reading this 1978 tale in 2010 makes it sound like the cruise was one big drink-fest.....odd (hilarious actually) compared to today's yachting stories.....Further pages to follow...it seems we're reduced to one attachment per post today

Spiritcruising01.jpg

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

15. triggerfish

Tad,
    Thats absolutely wonderful, thank you so much for all the information you have found. When I started to doubt the Jongert pedigree (about 7 weeks ago) I tried to contact the previous owners. One, a German guy, said he had some paperwork in a garbage bag somewhere and would send it to me if he could find it. It arrived yesterday and was a treasure trove... I now have ALL the original blue print drawings(copyright Brasted 1972), some of the registration documents and a whole heap of receipts going back to her launch in 1974... I have restored old yachts before and the 'history trail' usually goes cold quite quickly, but in this case it just gets hotter and hotter !.. The builders, 'Joyce marine' are a very well known yard in the UK and it appears Mr Brasted was a member of the institute of Naval Architects. I even have his address!! I now have the original Spec drawings from Proctor UK who built the masts and spars and fitted all the standing rigging... Fantastic.. She is not a Jongert, but that really doesn't matter. You never look a gift horse in the mouth and this was a true gift. I have paid more for run down wrecks half this size in the past. She will never be a 'million bucks' boat, but I'll settle for what she is worth.... And the information you have provided has helped immensly. So once again I thank you very much.. I still dont know if my pictures have downloaded successfully though !!! But thats OK I have better ones... Cheers !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.