Malibu Outrigger

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by BobBill, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Love it. Lots of stuff to tinker with and upkeep...

Yep, In is still better than On...to me. One swab used a plastic patio chair on his boat, but it was still a bit cheeky.

Thanks.

2. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

A quick up date, pics will follow when assembled.

About half finished. Spars to be ordered soon, but about half the spars are salvaged surfer masts. The hulls are, as you may know, a salvaged Hobie 18 and a salvaged H-16. The 16 is to be the outrigger and only thing will be good check over, paint job and deck to hold the akas in place...plan to be wet by mid June...maybe even sport sprit and jib sail.

Have a very nifty outboard mount that is part of aft aka...just about every fitting is like that, the mast step, gooseneck, spar ends etc, had to be crafted from near scratch, which added to labors and time. I planned to open the main hull with a foot well, but may hold off a season or two...plan to run it in the Everglade Challenge event next year...things go as expected, trailer holds together and the boat floats.

Like I said, pics will show up soon...crazy build this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  3. PeteCress

PeteCress Junior Member

Pix???

We eagerly await.....

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Aye, it is also killing me, the long process of getting this project to point of wet, but soon. The thing has become a combo grind and labor of love.

I am finally going to set separate the vaka from the outrigger on the trailer (not much space here) and add the planks and order the tramp that sits beneath, but will add more pix and tale then.

In meantime, here are a couple pics to abide. Not pretty some of it but time precluded adding lipstick until next season. As long as it functions as intended is the biggie.

First pic is forward Hobie 18 beam mold, with leveling glass in place and floor plate and anti roll rods welded to it. The 4-inch x .125 wall x 8-foot T6 tubes sit on the leveled plates and are fastened by ss bolts and used, stock NACRA internal beam castings which fit internal beam radius...The far right is inspection port that is also set to hold a main Harken Hex/cam with carbon foundation support. (One of my goofs. I forgot to add carbon tow reinforcement to the outer ring of the female port ring, so the pressure on the port generally will prove interesting. I plan to have a small fairlead in place in the standard Hobie track adjacent to it that sits atop the long Hobie tramp rail attached to the main hull inboard, in case of failure. Will correct next season.)

The black is either carbon or clay I used as dam for the epoxy/carbon/glass matrix to help level the beam slot. Still have to add inch or so of wood base.

Second pic shows gooseneck assembled, but the steel rods, that fit into the yard and boom as do the shackle ends, were not installed. The ends of the yard and the boom have internal carbon/glass/turned wood plugs drilled to accept the gooseneck parts. Last pic shows MO gooseneck for comparison.

The small angular ss piece near center is the tail piece that holds the sail tack just above the boom. (Hobie 16 main, secured by hook/loop along luff for now. Only way I could use cast off surfer carbon and the T6 without luff rope or grooves. I got idea from firm that makes nifty keel boats out East.)

The cluttered last pic is of the two hulls, with partial deck on the outrigger set in place for fitting. Deck is needed to support and hold the akas to the outrigger (ama) which is attached to the two Hobie 16 hull pylons with ss half-inch bolts, using Hobie holes etc. Attachments via plates similar to first pic. The ply is sandwiched marine with 4oz S-glass/epoxy binder in center. Inch thick actual.

Gooseneck crafted from 6061 T6 and adapted castoff parts and bolts to duplicate orig Malibu Outrigger design but on T6 stubby. The stubby mast step remains to be finished, as it is a critical build, as are all I guess. Lots of carbon layers and ss 4-inch screws and more, working blind though 5-inch inspection port opening.

Kept two hulls close while crafting components...

Between crafting each item, and the do-overs, epoxy cures and cool weather, time has gone fast.

Have just redesigned the removable and adjustable mtr mount (2hp) for harbor egress etc where needed, and have to order parts and hope I can have ready in a week for pics.

Had to not worry about finishes and refinements, just basic structural stuff and assembly with refinements later due to short season, as you will see when I post more next week.

I forgot to add. The "slowness" has been beneficial...in some cases, if I had gone ahead with most ideas, as I did with the main sheet cleat assembly, I would have goofed them up, as I did with the maincleat assy, and avoided redoing and disaster.

I get the boards on the akas, etc, will post more pics.

Attached Files:

5. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Malibu Outrigger Plus Un Pics

Here are recent pics. First is of hulls together and stabilized from ceiling using hold down ratchets.

The outrigger deck and long rail over deck is reclaimed Chris Craft rail from decades back and will likely be back rest on main hull, replaced on outrigger by cable or bannister rail...don't know.

Third pic is gooseneck with large shroud shackles and ferrule inserts, showing steel extensions, SS plug sleeves and the spar end-plugs they fit into...used 1960s kiln-dried fir I had, turned, carbon sleeved and added glass sleeve (insulation to fit) for ferrules and endplugs. The ferrule inserts are 24 inches long, carbon/glass sleeved to fit and to insulate carbon yard an boom from T6 lower ends. End plugs are shorter.

Deck of step, showing opening for 3.25 OD stubby. 6 layers 11 oz carbon at deck, glass, carbon, Kevlar interior in/on hull sides. The step base assembly before install visible behind gooseneck includes carboned covered circular wood and hockey puck to sit in center of stubby and all surrounded by the inch-thick carbon covered, layered glass filled marine ply stacked and screwed together...the outside edge of inspection port has carbon tow epoxied to it...

Plan MO style semi crab claw (now with low cost H-16 sail from Intensity, maybe with three battens, with free foot, boomed, and luffed with hook/loop tape. Will show more when I separate hulls.

Bird poop on hull side shows not detailing as I usually do...no time this year. Function wet is goal.

Attached Files:

6. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Are you thinking solo, or with help.

Regardless, you need to get the beast out on the water so you can start working the bugs out.

Keep posting updates

7. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Flados, aye...but I keep running into little things I forgot about. Like stripped gudgeon screw, or setting hulls level to place aka, as 16 will float lower...

Here are two more pics...the casting in the aka tube and separated hulls...not even, and have to even to attach beam...little surprises...

Attached Files:

8. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Just a heads-up. Minnesota winter put me down like 20 year old dog...so project on hold til April/May...but turned out to help as I needed to tweak plan for the mast step and relate that to stresses on hull...

Plus going with stayed stubby mast stepped inside main hull, scrapping the main sheet swivel mount plan for sturdier base.

Boat is secured for winter at this point, so no pix, but come spring, will bring more to bear, especially when I remove deck at step and the foot-well areas. Ought to be interesting.

One question: With two hulls, the main hull and the outrigger, how does one pre-determine the space or distance from the beam or aka to the deck of the ama or outrigger, so the beams or deck is parallel to the water surface?

(You can see the rough shims beneath the deck in the right hand pic above...)

Or, is it always a guess?

In my case, I made a number of rough glass reinforced ply "shims" to add or remove to raise or lower the ama from the connection to the aka. That way, I figured to launch the boat and adjust accordingly. I will redo and finish when I know the distance.)

(I will say, simple quickly became complicated with this outrigger project, but we are very close to wet and then the fun...never thought this project would go three seasons...waiting for cures and weather factors aside.)

9. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

No pics. It may be below zero here, but am keeping up...set work schedule figured out the "outhaul" for the yard or spar (not in MO plans) and decided on simple outhaul for free-footed sail clew to boom. Adjusting underway seems low priority, at least at this point.

I also ordered most of hardware for spring push (stuff is on sale) though the wood-work and some other custom stuff will have to wait, until warm weather...including attaching hook and loop sail connections along yard.

The spray skirts and tramp will have to wait until assembled to verify measurements.

Also decided to keep the two keels even (vaca/ama). The MO plans have the outrigger a couple inches higher than the main hull or vaca. For me it is more of trailer bunk issue not a VMG thing. (Boat should be near 72 Portsmouth anyway I do it...) I am trailering it, so the outrigger being up or down a couple inches seems not to make much difference, at least at this point.

Will begin with the hulls more or less even at their low points and go from there, as compromise. Using .75"-thick spacers to raise or lower deck over outrigger to which the akas are attached, so should not require much work to adjust if need be.

My biggest change is adding the two shrouds and the footwell/drain work, but have that in hand.

The fun will be putting all this together and going wet...and debugging.

Will post pix as physical work resumes.

Obviously, am chomping at the bit, so to speak. What else? -10F at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

"New Malibu Outrigger"

FWIW. In for penny, in for a pound.

Finally out of garage, outside. Have to craft outboard support, starboard rail and do spars, but will go wet today, after visit to welder and big box for some hike boards...also adding tramp for underneath which is coming from UT shortly.

But, as it is most is redoing mistakes...but adventure continues. More pics but this is basic info...hull was reinforced with carbon and mast step redone in T6, which I might have noted and stubby has stay and 2-4 shrouds. If craft functions as a "5ksb" as planned, jib off a bowsprit in spring, maybe foam outrigger, depends.

BTW, the mast step pic (last) looks odd cause I forgot to wipe off wax floor wax release agent and did not tell welder...my bad.

Attached Files:

11. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

Overall looks like lots of fun waiting to happen.

You mentioned stays. The front stay and the side stay off to the forward aka will be easy. What do you have planned for the other side.

Unless you have a good stay opposite the aka stay, you will need to take it very easy when running with the ama to lee.

I would suggest having a 6 ft tube (say 2.5 aluminum) that would attach to the forward aka and extend out say 4 ft or so for a stay attachment point.

Think about showing us a picture of the boat with the mast up.

12. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Good point and thought of it when folks here suggested I use stays...

and I will admit I am sort of punting...dealing with what I have...and save blocks and most hardware and the T6 tubes, all is recycled (en vogue-word for "old used stuff.")

I know the rig must be balanced...what is not shown, cause not yet crafted, are the two port hiking-back extensions...planned to fit into beams and connect by 10 -foot mahogany piece I salvaged from old Chris Craft. I should show it cause it is a ready, stiffened and looks nice.

The extensions are (at least planned) to be removed to comply with 8' wide road restrictions...one to outside of the extensions and one to outer port edge of main hull, if that makes sense. Will know if nesting tube idea will work, tomorrow...along with outboard set up (light 2HP Johnson) off end of hike boards.

All is total experiment. Even thought of going with foils, but not a foil fan and way-spendy...this is under $3K, 5ksb project, so far. I keep fixing my goofs and praying the effort does as planned...4ksb minimum...with beer.

13. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Maybe pics today, I get the gooseneck assembly attached...and add the shrouds and forestay...

But the second starboard hiking extension (removeable to fit 8-foot highway width limit) to which one of the shrouds will be attached is not finished yet...likely Monday...but setting up to sail without, so should be fine. Will see.

Follow the shroud lines and you should have decent idea of plan, in attached.

Attached Files:

14. PeteCress

PeteCress Junior Member

Did you ever get it in the water ?

15. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Peter...thanks and yes, but I did not sail it...too windy every day I wanted to go...was afraid I'd break a spar right off the bat and waited. I know all is not perfect and expect a few tweaks will be needed, but 20 knot winds were too much for initial runs...at least to this swab.

I was holding off posting some pics to be sure things worked...

Then I had to go to SF and drove. That was three weeks gone, and the weather shut me down.

I did however float the rig and moved around the lake under electric power with motor on it. Was a pleasant feeling to see stuff worked as planned. Pics of stuff below.

Had planned to take the rig to Florida but got too complicated...

But all is well and I now will add a bowsprit to handle jib or reacher...I have the carbon spars, set and ready for warmer weather.

Pics are in laptop, will post in few minutes...not much left to do really, save some sail work and the spar, unless something happens in storage.

I might alter a few things, but basically, boat is finished...licensed and awaiting longer days.

The project sort of takes on a life of its own, as I think most do, and my quick-rig plan became complicated. Little things build up. Maybe overkill.

I can still lift the boat from either end, and it weighs about 300 or so all up and solid. But rigging on trailer to sail is half hour to 45 minutes, but too late, which is implied by last pic of planned rig.

Motor mount needed due to harbor rules here and there and changed to electric for less mess, smell etc. I have a pic somewhere of mounted motor and will post, and when I had it out, left camera in car...duh!

I am still messing with mast step and adding the shrouds complicated set-up but shooting for simple still.

Oh yeah, pic 3 is motor mount from side, pic 4 shows with tramp on and each rail. The back rest sits on T-6 3.x 1/4" wall T-6 tube inserted into 4" OD x.125"wall aka/beams, and removable to be legal width on road...installed the boat's beam is 11 feet and the plank is held in place by the bent push-in rods you see atop the plank. Port side is simple mahogany rail salvaged from old cruiser, screwed in place.

Large bolts you see are AL. I tapped the aka to accept hand tightened.

I had to forego plan to be able to paddle rig easily with tramp installed...it could work with only orig planks and no tramp, but using tramp and some other stuff as spray shield if choppy.

Runs decent with single rudder, but have yet to tack under sail and have second rudder if that is problem. Thus far, decent going under power using rudder to steer, not motor.

Happy holidays.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.