Malibu Outrigger Plans

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by fhrussell, Jan 11, 2005.

1. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Hello Group Members,

This is an update to a post that has appeared in a number of multihull groups and forums regarding plans for the 18' Malibu Outrigger.
    For the handful of people looking for the plans; they can be acquired by sending a $50.00 check (USD), payable to “Malibu Yacht Club” to:

John Abel
    20494 Royalstone Drive
    Malibu, CA 90265

The $50 dollar still goes toward the rent expenses of the yacht club, which inhabits a tiny house on the beach. The history is Warren Seaman, designer of the Malibu Outrigger, donated the plans in 1955 to the newly formed yacht club to pay the rent for a slice of beach to store the boats. If anyone has seen any pictures of Malibu from the 40's to 60's, you'll know how popular these boats were. They were even featured in the June '58 issue of Popular Mechanics!
    Currently, there are a few boats still active with the club; mostly Darts and Hobies. And for all you enthusiasts, Wayne Mort has original drawings by Warren Seaman for a 25 foot version. Let me know if you are interested and I can try to get those copied either by Wayne or Warren for a nominal fee. There are no plans available for the 12 foot version.

Aloha,
    Frank

2. Pier L. Brunett

Pier L. Brunett New Member

i'm interested to get the plans, how can I make a money tranfer fro abroad. can you give me the coordinates to pay by credit card. thanks a lot pier

3. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Hi Pier,
    Sorry, but only check or money order will do. It's a home-based operation and very casual. You could send a money order in USD from abroad from your local bank, I'm sure. The address in this post is still the place to send it to. Hope this helps...
    Frank

4. mbordenave

mbordenave New Member

Are these plans still available? I sail an 18' Malibu (home built in 1967- sail #305). While I have rebuilt this boat several times I have never had the benefit of the original plans.

5. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Yes, they are! Drop John a line..... Any pics of your boat?
    Best..

6. mbordenave

mbordenave New Member

Thank you. Yes I have way too many photos of the Malibu at Huntington Lake. I'd be happy to post some, but I'm not sure how to do it on this site.

7. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

I think I'll start a Yahoo Grooup for the Malibu Outrigger... If you want to email me some of the photos, I'll post them there.

8. mbordenave

mbordenave New Member

Please zap me your email address at <mbordenave@earthlink.net> and I'll send along some photos. Mike

9. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

10. Bunkerrips

Bunkerrips New Member

Malibu outrigger

I have one for sale built by larry anderson call Don 310-924-2636