Male mold raptor staples

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Scuff, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Has anyone used these staples to attach the foam to the mold? Screwing from the inside looks to be difficult in the bow section. I was thinking maybe I could use some .023" mig wire to slide in between the stringer and foam to release. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use trim screws to attach the foam to the mold. They will pull through when you pull the hull off the mold.

Scuff likes this.
  3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am a bit confused.

Female or male mould?

Plastic raptors are not really very capable of passing through foam and into wood.

If you are trying to screw a panel into a female mould in the bow section and you need to get closer to the mould; use a right angle driver.

Otherwise, you idea to pierce the hull and stitch to the mould can work.

I had this problem on my build and ended up a little concave where I ought to have been convex. A big part of me wishes I had noseconed which is better in many ways.

But alas, it sounds like you are well past that.

If you have glassed the inside; you can stitch; if not, the stitching will cut into the core rather easily.

I would try to find some copper or 316stainless wire so that you can leave it in if needed. But, like I said, your post is a little short on the entire story.

4. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

it's a Male mold. In the bow section the last frame to the bow stem looks to be pretty tight. I didn't realize the staples wouldn't penetrate wood, thanks.

Gonzo the trim screws sound promising. I'll test a piece to see. Appreciate it.

5. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

I know this is a little old but wanted to update it with my results. The trim screws that Gonzo suggested worked for me. I angled them to help pull through. It did create considerable drag and the bow section was really tight as well which didn't help.

Attached Files:

gonzo likes this.