Malcolm Tennant "Wild Thing" Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by tanjera, Sep 28, 2014.

1. tanjera

tanjera Hennie

HI there
    I am interested in one of these that are for sale locally but would like to hear from someone that has either owned one or sailed on one.
    The only literature I could lay my hands on are the usual sales blurbs.
    Much appreciated
    Hennie

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Andrew Bogle shared Taranui with a couple of friends, really liked the boat but then sold it to Australia. You are after Careless Intent and for a short time, I had a rush of blood - but then calmed down, don't need another boat, have three to look after. But the design is excellent except it is low wooded having been designed, the original boat, built at Peter Sowman's, forgotten its name, for the Canadian lakes - but imo all that is required is to make the two float daggerboards into L shaped foils; that will keep the lee float higher. I saw both boats, Taranui and Intent, being built in Bay of Islands years ago but haven't sailed on either - but did sail on the smaller version named Demon Tricycle - which was an excellent and fast boat too.

3. tanjera

tanjera Hennie

Hi Gary
    Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated however I do not get your:"except it is low wooded having been designed"??
    Hennie

4. Gary Baigent

Malcolm was asked to design the boat for a US or Canadian sailor who lived on a large lake so MT designed a low wooded boat, meaning the floats and hulls are of quite low freeboard (because you don't get high waves in lakes compared to the sea) so even though the design has over-length floats (he would be the first to have done this) when powered up the lee float is often close to being buried. Nothing wrong with that, low freeboard give less windage, is lighter, also looks good, fast. However when MT drew the boat, foils were not well known - and it would be a simple task to make the float daggers into L foils .... and then you would have more power to carry sail, float does not bury, more speed, safety. The design is perfect for this.

Attached Files:

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

L boards

Gary, since you brought it up ;) How would you go about actually engineering/building an L-board for a tri this size without getting too exotic? I am certainly convinced they would be a nice upgrade.
    B

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The beam and connective loads would get higher but you could make an argument about reducing the shock loads from the waves.

7. HydroNick

HydroNick Nick S

I recall There was either a video or photos...I think a video...of two "Wild Things" in strong winds. One did a near endo but (as I recall) recovered nicely. They were smoking along. Maybe someone has a link to the photos/ video. Good luck with the purchase.

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It was in the Whitsundays and the other background boat was a Grainger 075 trimaran "Sirocco". It was pretty hairy but the tennant trimaran saved itself and went on to complete the race :)

http://thecoastalpassage.com/driven_in.html

9. tanjera

tanjera Hennie

Thanks for all the contributions guys - much appreciated.
    Will certainly investigate the l-shaped foils if I buy her - all depends on the $'s
    Keep it coming
    Hennie

10. Gary Baigent

Bruce, on your B24, since you're talking about fitting foils to the floats and presumably retaining your main hull centreboard, therefore the foils do not have to be large and I'd say pretty similar to the ones on Sid; you could laminate the foils with stripped wood and epoxy into a soft turning L, (using blocks nailed to your shed floor and bending with clamps) and when cured grind away the thickest section areas where the loads are at their highest and lay in half a dozen layers of uni-directional carbon both sides.

11. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

I know on its own balsa is a poor choice, but if it's carbon wrapped and glass it should suffice for a foil shouldn't it? I just had the though one could do the sand out a foil in hardwood trick, the. Split it in a saw few times and space balsa between and shape that to it. The. One could build the foil curved then slather on the cloth and epoxy. He'll even drill to set it on a pre bent aluminum rod, No?

Barry

12. basil

basil Senior Member

I have a feeling that the Wild Thing tri that was built of varnished timber that went Canada was named "Wild Thing".
    I believe the red tri in the Whitsundays has conventional looking floats these days. Maybe they had a few too many near endos going on.

Tony

13. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Looked to me like the bow overhangs had been clipped. There was another thread here or on SA that mentioned this and had some more pics of the boat.

14. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Found a pic of it:

Attached Files:

15. warwick

warwick Senior Member

could the clip float bows have had some thing to do with the length it was being measured at.