Malaysian Boat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tom Ask, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Tom Ask

Tom Ask Junior Member

Last year I was a Visiting Professor at UTM in Malaysia studying boat design. I have bunch of photos if anyone is interested. Last time I was there was 1995 and not much had changed as far as the design.

Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Ask

Tom Ask Junior Member

Malaysia

Here are some more pix.

Attached Files:

3. Tom Ask

Tom Ask Junior Member

Malaysia

Here are some more.

Attached Files:

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I wish I had all that wood to play with....

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

WOW i love it!! CAN you share some more please ?? This is very interesting !! Would like to hear about you being there and what things are like !!.
    Nice one !!:p

6. Thomas Ask

Thomas Ask Junior Member

Malaysia

Here some more, enjoy.

Attached Files:

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hello
    Thank yu so much for shareing this , So simple and straight forward . Have spent time working on Japanese houses and learned there fancy joints and the lojic behind what they do . Have also spent time watching a old Tahitian guy teach his young guys how to make and repair Copra boats . Its so simple and once you see how its done its all falls into place . Simple tools and simple ways but skills that can only be learned from a master at his job .!!!!
    Thank you so so much ;) . !!!!:D
    The Tahitians used for the frames tree branchs that had been dried over a period of time and all stacked as not to twist .They had a big band saw that the tree trunks and branchs were spike clamped on to like a small train carrage that travelled backwards and forwards ,the width of the cut could be set so each pass it moved the jig what ever the thickness was required ,on the way back it moved 1/2" away from the saw blade so it didnt touch , the carrage was big enough for a person to stand on and grip the speed controler stick .Was beautiful to watch as they clamped whole tree trunks and cut planks from them for the hull planking Or branchs the right shape and cut 1 or 2 slices to make frames . There was no wasted timber and even the saw dust they hydralic pressed into a log form to burn for cooking with .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.