modified linseed oil epoxy resin

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by verbertus, Jun 26, 2008.

1. verbertus

verbertus Junior Member

I heard it exists, but I cannot find information about this non-toxic resin.
    From what I understand it cures under UV-light.
    And that's about all I know about it :eek:

Anyone knows more?
    Thanks!

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

It might be a product like this where epoxy can be made to cure under UV

http://www.shapers.com.au/category45_1.htm

claims "it creates a much stronger and clearer product whilst reducing toxic emissions (volatile organic compounds) from your working environment. "

Might be the source of the 'non toxic' claim, but Linseed Oil and epoxy dont sound like cousins to me.

3. verbertus

verbertus Junior Member

Thank you!

The link doesn't seem to work. Looks like the page (45-1.htm) isn't active.
    I did find the additive or hardener-replacer on their homepage. Sounds like a boatbuilders' dream, doesn't it :)

Epoxy is based on fossil oil, so in theory it could be made from vegetable oil as well.

Here's an article that gives some insight.

There is more to find by googling, but most of it is scientific and above my head, as I have no training in chemistry..

But I am sure a brand is commercially available in Britain. I heard about a racing bike manufacturer, who's using it as a structural compound in fiberglassing.

Thanks again.

4. verbertus

verbertus Junior Member

Found it!

http://www.suscomp.com/index.htm

Although still in the early stages of development, this looks promising. One step closer to green boatbuilding..These guys are really doing important research and development, hats off ...:cool:

Any comments?

5. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Man, I sure hope that pans out!

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The environmental epoxy sounds promising, but the fact they used balsa wood is a worry. The amazon is getting cleared out too quickly as it is.

That applies to just about any boatbuidling timber except Kirri ( Pawlonia), and even that will be a while before the plantations get established.

7. wannasail53

wannasail53 Junior Member

They even have hemp cloth and mat as well as the part vege polyurethane foam. The uv hardener sounds like something even I could use and it comes in a powder so can be shipped to US. I will order some asap.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.