what exactly does this refer to?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by m20b25, May 6, 2010.

1. m20b25

m20b25 Junior Member

I've been trying to find a definition to 'Stem Heel' and 'Counter Structure' but cant find a definitive answer! There are listed under Centreline Structure minimum weight requirements for a boat I'm looking into for a project. I understand Stem Head and Stern Post, which are under the same heading. I've asked a few people however I'd like a bit more than 'its probably....'!!

many thanks

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

The "stem heel" is where the lower flaying surface, and possibly tenion in wood construction, of the stem bar/timber meets and is welded/riveted/scarphed into the keel. Google "heel of the stem".

The "counter structure" are the structural elements that support the transom and hull structure above and aft the stern post and/or horn timber. Google "counter stern horn timber"

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

By the way, is this for a 6 meter?

4. m20b25

m20b25 Junior Member

It is for a 6mR indeed! Thank you for your reply, completely forgot to reply sooner.

I'm a student. Ambitious project. Found it very hard to get any great info on the Moderns. Plenty available on the Classics but Moderns are much more closed, especially when it comes to getting detailed parametrics or drawings on the appendages.

Almost there though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.