making super sturcture in rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

hi all,
    I can do hull design wll by maxsurf , rhino or freeship,
    I have downloaded rhino and rhinomarine by hearing that it is good for making the superstructures. but I confused that how to proceed to making the superstructures!So far I have observed , i found rhino3d as a 3d cad software life other cad softwares. I was not able to feel why rhino is special for making the other portion of the ship after making the hull?
    My question is;;there are other famous 3d cad software lile "3dstudiomax", why rhino marine 3d is special for ship design?
    I am a new student in Naval architecture and so I am not understanding this,,,, would you plzzzzz tell me clearly about that? I am good in making the hull in maxsurf academic or freeship,,, but I am confused how to build the other portions !
    If rhinio is good for that from other softwares, then would you plz which tools should I try for that?
    please help me by giving your valuable advice.( sorry if i disturb you asking soo many questions)
    thanks!

2. nico

nico Senior Member

nothing special in rhino compared to others. Except the price and how easy it is to use.

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Not something you can learn on a forum really. Go out and look at some boats, any boats. Take photos, study the shapes, then work out how to create them as surfaces. It's a learning curve that's taken me years. I'm afraid there's no short-cut.

You might like to have a look at the theory behind splines and surfaces, that will give you great insight.

My only advice is try a few tutorials and look at a few boats. Try different types of boats too, and modelling different features.

One trick is to keep the geometry as "clean" as possible. By this I mean, don't trim surfaces more often than you have to.

Tim B.

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

The reason that Rhino is a favourite is that it creates real NURBS surfaces, not just polymeshes.