How will Climate Change change our boating world, and what can be done?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Grant Nelson, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Weather [sic] its getting warmer or colder aside, I read in the other wonderful thread on Climate Change, that we do see a lot of changes in the world of water which makes up such are large part of our lives.

I am curious how we think this could impact our lives - flooding rivers, more storms at sea, erosion, silted harbors, loss of sea side communities, sea life, and yes, even the impact of (mis-guided) government policies trying to manage the impact of these current environmental changes...

Will we have more or less chance to go boating, will our houses or companies have to move, or be forced out of business, will we, and others we depend on, have even less of the beauty of water, wind and waves available to us if we do nothing.

And, what could we do that makes sense to one one of use. Where should the federal and local government, global companies, shipping and poart owners, yacht builders and harbor owners, etc. best spend their mental energy and money to make the biggest impact.

Any thoughts?

2. Grant Nelson

3. Grant Nelson

Opps, how did that happen...(ahh, two browsers open, only one (half?) brain..)
    The first line of the above was from another post I was working on, but that lead to the article I linked to there... here is what I wanted to share from that article:

To get the brain juices flowing, a quote from a report on the web:
    Flooding on any large scale would cause evacuation and possible permanent displacement of the people living in the Netherlands. Higher socioeconomic classes are often able to adjust to environmental problems, because they can afford residence in areas with clean air, clear water, and lower chance of flooding. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina illuminated the numerous environmental justice issues residents of the lower-ninth ward endured. Undoubtedly, similar issues will face the residents of the Netherlands. A Dutch Ministry of Water Management advisor has noted, “society must recognize that there will be losers from adaptation, and they must be compensated”
    http://www.american.edu/ted/ice/dutch-sea.htm

4. yipster

yipster designer

where do we still see frogs, reed or water lilies but its not only climate change that changes our boating world
    over population and new land scaping (wise with half the country is below sea level) coursed the loss of nostalgic memories like these
    ah, well, there are some other real nice places in this old world, snow for a week at eastern is strange tho but who's to blame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Won't happen for another couple hundred years so best make sure my grave is on high ground! otherwise I might float away!!

Just as a matter of interest, so the Netherlands government are building all houses on 5m stilts - what happens if the flood waters reach 6 metres?

6. masalai

masalai masalai

And that is only from the melt of Greenland, add more if Antarctica ever melts - like - - 70metres... Helloooooo waterworld... but global warming is a "non-event" according to half the experts who predict a mini-ice age or is it an ice age... In which case safewalrus will not be "safe" as everyone will be hunting any form of furry animal to get warmer, and those with lots of blubber to render down for light & heating fires (no wood)...

7. Grant Nelson

The International Platform for Climate Change puts the expected rise of seal level between 3 to 24 inches in the next 100 years, but if thing really get wild, and greenland and the antartic partially melt, we are looking at 13 meters somewhere in the next 1000 years... (indeed, more like 100 if they both melt entirely)
    But even if that is not so worrisome, if we combine that with increase down river flooding and higher storm surges, we do have a periodic problem for everyone. But I am guessing economics will kick in, and protection will be put up for large industries, cities, and the rich. Might such measures greatly restict where smaller boats can travel? Will the small harbors, etc. where man Yacht Builders are base be silted up, closed off, or if they are nicely protected, taken over? I don't know. Should we care? I think so, but we all know there are buffers for everything, and when things swing too far one whay, they swing back the other. So need we worry, need we take measures?
    Re the raising of Dutch homes. I am trying to find more on that. I do know they will not use stilts - even thought the Dutch have a lot of experience with piles, but will instead, create big mounds that eventually will be inter-connected. I guess if things get bad, they can still add stilts :)
    Re graves on high land - remember, its raining more, so having your bones washed out to sea is more likely - but hey, that does not sound so bad...
    Cheers...

8. safewalrus

Actually I plan to be cremated< looks like as part of the galley range if Missy Lee is anything to go by - still one thought walrus tases better than long pig!! (or so I'm told)

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

wally are ya gonna do it now or later????..longliner

10. masalai

masalai masalai

He is scared I may eat him... Long pig is OK too - never tried walrus - may just render it down for the fat to fuel my lamps... Emu is about my favourite bird, but the BEST meat ever is Kangaroo...

11. Roly

Roly Senior Member

So you gonna ad to your largish carbon footprint by being cremated eh Walrus? Shame on you! Your gunna dep[rive the worms of theer reason for xistance. Vrey heathen.
    I am goinng to be hoist up the mast in a lightnin storm.No fooprunt an ozoned. free

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Err wait on Mr Roly, The walrus was donating his body to the starving peons... as food... - - A very caring and sound proposition, and as such, in the name of conserving energy, directly recycling some perfectly good protein (meat/blubber/fur), It behoves us all to respond similarly...

Safie, in anticipation of your noble gesture, some more points... point... point ... point. .. . point.... :D:D:D

13. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Did I post that?
    "The walrus was donating his body to the starving peons... as food..."
    As long his pyre is made from dead trees, and he rolls in basil and lemon juice before he carks it.
    "A very caring and sound proposition, and as such, in the name of conserving energy"
    Absolutely! But do our kids we get carbon credits if we tick the box?

14. safewalrus

Amazingly guys my carbob foot print is very low, is yours? So I can afford to go over the top with a bit of cremation (poor cooking to some - "when its brown its done, when it's black it's buggered" as us says down here!)

But just for the record I do not plan this excitting occasion for sometime yet!! So don't get to excited guys!

Missy Lee you like Kangeroo best then? does this mean you like a little 'jump' now and then? shame on you, you Brazen Hussey!

15. masalai

masalai masalai

You gotta bump when you gotta bump, as that septic singger ses... good ole sexploitation... not with kangaroos - they is for eating after gentle cooking.

My carbob footprint is about ground level - even below sea level if I am standing in the water...

Roly, I hope there is no link, but sometimes I have been referred to as - - "the cause of lost champions"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.