Where would I post this?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by piperca, Mar 23, 2008.

1. piperca

piperca Junior Member

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and actually came here searching advice on a project I am in the midst of on my 28' Skipjack flybridge. I need some advice on replacing a fuel tank, which I am replacing with a belly tank instead of the stock rectangular tank. I need assistance in identifying issues with the install before I really mess something up. Where would I post such a question?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. masalai

masalai masalai

This will be OK, but you run the risk of some irrelevant drivel/banter so you will get something to laugh about whilst waiting for the holidays to end...

Welcome, be tolerant and enjoy... Many experts available and sometimes accompanied with drivel from others, waiting for something within their own level/field of experiences/expertise...

3. piperca

piperca Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome! I'm pretty thick skinned and enjoy a good laugh, so that's not a problem.

The issue I've come across is that the old tank was foamed in and flat on the bottom (supported by foam); the new tank will consist of two belly style tanks to allow me additional fuel. Through researching the proper way to install the new tanks, I've come across some that think that the install may have problems. Here is what I intended on doing:

To the V'd sides of the new tank (area that would be in contact with the hull), I would apply strips of 1/4"-1/2"plastic, which would be attached using 5200. With the empty tanks resting on the hull, I would mark the sides of the tanks, so that the builder can weld on brackets to secure the tanks to the top of the stringers on either side of the tanks. These brackets would ensure the tanks would not move.

The concern that has been shown is the following:

The brackets may flex and cause damage to the tank.

The boat was not designed to support belly tanks.

3/8" may not be enough room between the stringers and the tank for clearance (I'd probably place some 1/4" plastic strips on the side of the tanks, too).

Does anyone have experience with this type of installation that can advise me how to proceed? The tanks have not yet been built, so now's the time to make changes.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Hang in there piperca, I do not know the answers... I hope after the holiday break someone will spot your pose & reply, else browse around and entertain yourself a bit - maybe you will find a better forum to put your thread... If you do then move there using this thread to advise of continuation in more appropriate place...

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Pipe, I'd say you want a more technical orientated forum, kinda at the top of the index page, as Missy said go browse those and find the more appropriate and shift to there! Down here in the dungeon thers more chance we'll extract several pints of urine afore you get any kind of decent answer - conversley you will get an answer down here, just the right one may take some time! Most come down here for the 'craic' rather than anything technical. Some stay, some can't stand it (they's the boring buggers we don't want anyway) If you do stay be warned there's some mad bad barstewards down here - look out for that Walrus character - complete bloody nutter he is!!!

6. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum! ;)

As can be verified by the other two correspondents so far, I'm no expert!

However, here a a few suggestions. Maybe repost in the "Propulsion" section - I'm sure there's quite a few motorheads there. Also, be a little more specific - what "issues" are you concerned with; what do you hope to achieve with a belly tank, how is the original installed? Some pics might help too.

Guarantee the answers will be forthcoming!

Best

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Ooooo Trev, concise, intelligent, helpful, not funny, honest, unsolicited valid guidance, polite, inoffensive, articulate, considerate - - are you on drugs? :D:D:D

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Andrew,

Thanks to one of our forum members (former USCG, goes by the nickname "Ike"), there is an excellent compilation of a whole pile of necessary information for people in your situation at http://newboatbuilders.com/. Check out http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html for a lot of things you need to know about your fuel storage and delivery system before trying to install new tanks.

For some handy notes on how to do a good job of installing tanks (unlike the ***** who foamed your old tank in place), surveyor David Pascoe has a good article at http://yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

3 people like this.
  9. masalai

masalai masalai

Marshmat, praise and appreciation in the form of points in "feedback"

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i've seemed to have "misplaced" my frog,duck,and 2 cows,,,has anyone seen them?

11. Trevlyns

Well my headmaster wrote on my final report...

"This boy is trying. VERY trying" :p

12. Trevlyns

Dunno 'bout the frog and the duck... but could the cows be here? :D

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

apparently so,,,i read down the thread and see Mas. and Safey,,,so to rephrase that,,,has anyone seen my parrot and cat? hehe ;)

14. piperca

piperca Junior Member

Thanks, guys, looks like I'll find a home for this thread elsewhere.

1 person likes this.

15. Trevlyns

See? Now we've chased him off lads. Shame on you!

OK , who's next?